UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 am 

It was filmed during the eclipse. The link is not the actual footage, but a local news station. Surprisingly to me, they were 100% professional. No eye rolls, no sarcastic tone of voice from the reporter, or the anchors, no wise cracks. I thought that was interesting in itself.

[url "http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-09-18-0019.htmlmidatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-09-18-0019.html"]Click me!![/url]

Oh and the UFO is pretty interesting also! [:)]
___

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:36 am 

That is one incredible video. Must have been a HUGE UFO to be captured on film from such a distance like that. Smart to keep a copy and have scientists take a look at it.

Lucky find for that kentucy man, and I agree, it's nice he wasn't ridiculed.

Tim
___

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:50 am 

It might have been so much closer to the earth than suspected, it LOOKED a lot larger against the crescent of the moon. That's my guess...
___

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:43 pm 
Unregistered
The UFO is about 1/4 the size of the moon, without the protruding antenna.

The problem with this type of photo or film is the distance from the camera to the object (or even a reference) ... unknown.

Without knowing that, the sizes is only a guess.
___

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 am 

True... but it's still an impressive anomaly, and a great capture!
___

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:54 am 
Unregistered
Impressive? Unfortunately no. Here is the reason. Without a reference point, it is not only impossible to tell if the object is closer to moon or closer to the camera. For all we know it could be satellite in earth's orbit.

One thing I noticed in this footage is that the "drone" never actually moved. It appears to move due to the movement of the moon.

As member of APRO, I have studied a many photos and films. To me, the object might be nothing more than a tree branch or part of a light or telephone pole.

I would like to see the entire footage ...

Rohn

___

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:01 am 
Unregistered
Interesting thing is that altitude of the moon on sept 18 2007 was 44 degrees. This means that the moon was not very high in the sky. The cameraman could have photographed something like a branch or etc.

This is not to say that is what he captured on the film. As good investigator, we must first eliminate any other possibilities before jumping to any conclusion.

Rohn
___

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:44 am 

I was thinking that to, but then I remembered that in the video, the news guys said he had it analyzed by the Space Dept at Moorehead collage, or someplace to that affect. And they confirmed that it was not the ISS, and also that they could not identify what the object could be.
I am pretty sure if it was a branch or something, they would have determined that. Besides, put yourself in this guys shoes, wouldn't you want the college to be absolutely sure that it was not an everyday object before he went to the press??
I know if I went through the trouble to have it analyzed, I would want to be damn sure it was no branch.
But, thats just my 2 cents!
Chances are it was Venus, and it was being filmed through swamp gas.
There is really no other conclusion. [tongue]
___

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:35 am 
Unregistered
[quote]
I am pretty sure if it was a branch or something, they would have determined that. Besides, put yourself in this guys shoes, wouldn't you want the college to be absolutely sure that it was not an everyday object before he went to the press?? [/quote]
According to the reporter, Moorhead U scientist only stated that this was not the ISS. I would like their opinion (or their view) on what it could be.

Again, before we jump to the UFO conclusion, let us exhaust every other possibility.

[quote]
But, thats just my 2 cents!
Chances are it was Venus, and it was being filmed through swamp gas.
There is really no other conclusion.[/quote]
This is the reason UFOlogy is ridiculed by the scientific community is that many would rather attribute an unknown object they see, photograph or films as UFO rather than looking for a plausible explanation. In our UFO db only about 2.7% of the unidentified objects are truly UFOs (ETSV).

Rohn
___

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:57 pm 

There is never any shortage of people who will ridicule the UFO community. I find it ironic that mainstream scientists would be the near the top of [u]that[/u] list, yet we want their approval at the same time?

I did not get the impression that anybody had made up their mind what the object was, thus the initial examination by Moorehead University.

I think the scientific method itself under the best of circumstances cannot identify a UFO. They can rule out tree branches and swamp gas, but to come right out and say conclusively it's a UFO? And if that is the 'measure' whereby we judge a person's credibility of a UFO sighting, where does that put the rest of the 'experts'.

Not many have the financial means to take such footage to independant experts (by that I mean those with the education and experience, in order to eliminate all the possible factors, to only come up with the conclusion that it is, indeed, unidentified.

We already know that, and it isn't a matter of having anybody tell us that by way of so-called probabilities and statistics, even when backed up with evidence it is still a subjective analysis of what it [i]could be. [/i]We could line up a dozen different laboratories, with highly skilled experts, and the only thing that would be agreed upon, is that yes, it is unidentified. Rule absolutely everything out, and it's still only accepted as a 'probability'. Have all parties agree on the findings as conclusive proof? I don't think so.

I feel for the person who took the original video and is subject to so-called 'expert's' opinions on what he saw; to the point of suggesting that unless it is absolutely scientifically proven, then it's just another video in the long line of video's that have been ridiculed both within, and outside of, the UFO community. The best we can do is say it is likely more probable than not, that it could be a UFO (or ETSV, or whatever you want to call it).

I am going to go out on a limb here and say, I believe the video for what it is.

Timbit
___