UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:27 pm 

I've posted this sighting report elsewhere during the past six months and I keep hoping that someone else will come forward with their own report. So far, no luck. The circumstances of the sighting were so good that I can't help but think that someone else saw it. Since my other postings I've had strange phone calls from anonymous people trying to instill doubt in my mind. I've had email refutations from people who by their own admission were nowhere near the occurrence. This seemingly coordinated effort to discredit me has been almost as interesting as the sighting itself.

Here is my report.

At about 12:20 pm, 19 May 2008, while bicycling on the Colonial Parkway, I observed a very large, elongated metallic craft hovering very near the Surry Nuclear Power Station in southeast Virginia. This was a particularly windy day. A SW wind was blowing at a steady 25 mph, with gusts up to 40-45 mph. Not the best day for cycling, but it was clear and crisp and there were no clouds to speak of. Perhaps because of the wind there were no aircraft or birds in the sky. There was some vehicular traffic on the road, but it was very light.

I was about a mile from Jamestown Island, when I spotted a large, dark gray object hovering over the north bank of the James River. It was directly in front of me and I had an excellent
view of it through the gap in the trees that line the road. I would not have been more surprised if I had suddenly seen a skyscraper appear from out of nowhere. From my vantage point it appeared to be moving from east to west at a very slow speed. In military parlance it
was flying "low and slow." I couldn't gauge its size at first, but I could see that it was extremely large. At first I thought it may have been a large kite because people often come out to fly their kites on the beaches when the winds are good. But something about it did not look at all kite-like. It was far too big and too dark. It did not swing from side to side or dip the way a kite does. And it was absolutely silent. Because of the acoustics over the river one can almost always hear the sound of an aircraft's engines, even if they are a couple of miles off. From my vantage point this aircraft looked like a rectangle with rounded corners. I later realized that I was looking at it head-on at this point. It did not have any sharp edges, rotors, wings or tail. It made no sound at all. It was completely smooth as far as I could tell.

Because I was on a bicycle, and it was directly in my line of sight, I could not take my eyes off of it. As I stared at it, I was convinced that I could make out three, or perhaps four, horizontal black lines running around the front of the object. The object suddenly moved off to my right (heading south). Its progress was obstructed by trees.

About three minutes later I came to a meadow adjacent the water's edge and saw that the object had sailed completely across the river and was now very near the Surry Nuclear Power Station on the far shore. It is a good three miles across the channel. It must have moved very quickly to cover that distance in under three minutes. It was now just below the high
bluff that rises up to the station's twin reactor domes (these are quite distinct and easily seen above the treeline). The craft was at least as large as they are, and possibly larger. The object was rocking very slowly from front to back. I've heard this described as "falling leaf motion." A better description is to imagine a small boat on a lake rising and falling with the current. When its upper surface caught the sunlight it reflected brightly like a mirror or a sheet of aluminum foil. Its underside was dark. I wondered if it might be a blimp or an advertising airship, but the shape did not seem right. A good analogy would be a slightly flattened and elongated football, but with the front and back ends being rounded, not pointy. Because it was so windy it did not seem like a good day to take a blimp up. This craft had no writing of any kind on its side. I've seen the MetLife and Goodyear blimps and their whole point is let you see the company's name. Nor was there a crew cabin on its underside or a tail assembly. And, with security so high these days it did not seem logical to me that anyone would be permitted to get that close to a nuclear power station. Over the years I have seen military helicopters on training missions over the river, but even they keep a wide berth of the power plant.

I have eliminated helicopters and small aircraft because, as I say, this object was huge and was hovering/drifting at very low altitude, perhaps no more than a hundred feet over the river. It was making a very leisurely pass of the riverside perimeter of the power plant. I walked my bike down to the water's edge to see if I could get a better look at it, but without binoculars I couldn't make out any other useful details. I took a seat on the narrow beach and watched it like this for about 15 minutes. In all that time it remained just beyond and below the perimeter of the power station, holding its own against the wind, but always remaining just below tree level. (The power plant is on a steep, sandy bluff rising from the river and is partially flanked by a dense thicket of trees).

At this point I made what I now consider to be a mistake. I hurried home to grab my binoculars and camera. It took me about ten minutes to get home from the 31 km marker on the Parkway and another fifteen to return. But, by the time I returned the object was gone. I went up and
down the parkway for a long while hoping that it might have drifted elsewhere, but the sky was empty except for a few clouds.

Now, I wish I had stayed until it left. It would have been very interesting to see which way it went. Or how it went.

One peculiar thing about that day on the river -- there were no birds in the air at all. It was Spring time and I have often seen eagles and other large birds flying over and diving into the water, even on windy days. But not that day. There were no boats or barges on the water either. It was as empty and quiet a day on the Parkway as I've ever seen.

Another thing that has bothered me since my sighting is the fact that the whole time this craft was checking out the nuke plant not a single military helicopter or other aircraft went to investigate. Over the years I've seen plenty of Navy helicopters going up and down the river, but not that day. Was the military unaware of it? If so, that's a troubling thought. Or were they aware of it, and dared not approach it? That's an even more troubling thought.

After my sighting I made countless phone calls -- Surry Nuclear Power Station security, nearby military bases in the area, Norfolk Approach, police, the local newspaper. The security officer at the nuclear plant (who seemed nervous to be speaking with me) tried to convince me that what I saw was an Osprey VTOL aircraft. I nearly laughed. I've seen an Osprey in flight before, and with its double rotors it looks like nothing else in the air. Besides, I'd wager that you could fit twenty Ospreys inside of what I saw. The control tower at Norfolk told me that what I saw was a Predator drone. Another laugh. They can't hover. And they're tiny by comparison. The most helpful person I spoke with was an Army major at Ft. Eustis who told me that some of her people had gone into Newport News for lunch and said they'd seen what they thought was the Goodyear blimp near flying over Patrick Henry Mall. But, they were confused because it seemed too windy to take a blimp up and it had no writing on its sides. I then called Patrick Henry mall to see if there had been an advertising blimp in the area and was told by mall management that they knew nothing about it and they'd certainly have known if there had been one. They would have been thrilled by the exposure. Next I called Goodyear Airship Operations and was told that none of their ships had been anywhere near the Chesapeake region on that day. The nearest one was in SC that day. The same was true for MetLife. Their blimp was hundreds of miles away on that day. I already knew that what I had seen was not a terrestrial airship and only made these calls to be absolutely certain so no knee-jerk skeptic could say to me, "It must have been a blimp!"

So, there it is. This has been a paradigm shifting event for me. I have seen an aline craft and no one will convince me otherwise. I have physicist friends who tell me (as they roll their eyes heavenward) that it's not possible for aliens to be here because the interstellar distances are too vast and there is that pesky speed of light barrier. They refuse to open their eyes. They come across as hidebound as medieval priests. It's now obvious to me that our physics is incomplete, perhaps even rudimentary. My answer to them is to listen to what I'm telling you! I've seen an alien craft first hand. They are here. They've figured out a way to overcome the light barrier. If they can do it, so can we. We just have to believe that it's doable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm 

That is one of the best witness reports I've ever read.

I wonder if that fact alone, full of detail, is one of the reasons you are receiving strange phone calls from strangers. Most sighting reports have very limited information, and pose no obvious threat to the denial process of the 'authorities'

That being said, I am curious if you have contacted MUFON, to file your report. Have you come across any support from the places you have posted your information?

It is a lonely place to be to witness such a sighting, only to have your sanity questioned. ;) The people of Stevensville, en masse, detailed their sighting, only to have it eventually go nowhere, despite the evidence, including radar analysis. I agree that to see something that is in airspace that is restricted, makes a person wonder why it is ignored as well.

Hopefully someone here just may have heard more, or read something and will respond here. The military personnel you mentioned that saw it but thought it was a blimp, may also produce some unexpected results.

In any event, I hope that answers come, for all of us, eventually. Thanks for posting that excellent report.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:56 am 

Thanks for the kind and supportive words. You have no idea how on the edge a thing like this can make you feel. Not a day goes by that I don't think about it. And whenever I go biking on the Parkway, which is one of my passions, I see that huge craft in my mind's eye. It's as though it were happening all over again. In truth, I'll never be the same.

To answer your question, I did post a report on the MUFON website the day of the event. It took them about three months to get back to me by phone. Or, at least I think it was one of their representatives. The phone interview did not go well. The man I talked to (he gave his name as Chesto) said one of the oddest things I'd ever heard right off the bat. Before I had even gotten very far in my story he told me point blank, "But you can't see the James River from the Parkway." I was speechless for a few seconds and then I assured him that one could indeed see a portion of the river from the road. His reply was something to the effect, "No, you can't. It ends at Jamestown Island." I said that this was correct, and then very patiently tried to explain to him that for a distance of about five miles, beginning at the island, the river is clearly visible from the parkway. But he kept denying that this was the case. I was growing annoyed and urged him to take the drive for himself, but he said that he knew all that he needed to know. Then he launched into me with, "You said the craft you saw was rocking back and forth from front to back. If it was a disc, how do you know what the front was?" In my haste I had indeed called the craft a large disc on the MUFON report, and it was only after I'd thought about it that I realized that it was longer than it was wide. I tried to explain this to him, but he would have none of it. He kept nit-picking at my report, finding what he thought were flaws or inconsistencies. It became painfully obvious to me that instead of having an open mind and being desirous of learning from me, he was attempting to tear down my report in any way that he could. I got angry and then cut him off saying, "This is a waste of time. If you wish to speak to me again, make an appointment and I will take you to the site itself and talk you through it." I then hung up. He never called me back. A few days later I contacted MUFON by email to see if this Chesto fellow was really one of theirs, but they never replied. It's still an open question to me about his true motives.

And this was just one of the strange calls and emails I received in the immediate aftermath of the sighting.

My personal opinion is that his event caused a great deal of anxiety in the local military as well as in the intelligence community. What could them worse nightmares than a broad daylight UFO sighting over a large metropolitan center? They seem to have been lucky this time, but what if if his had occurred over NYC or DC? I suspect that this is bound to happen in the future. And if CNN and the networks see it? What then?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:09 am 

I am really disappointed with MUFON, which is one of the reasons I asked you about it. We have had many through the years who have experienced the same thing as you have. I realize that their investigators are volunteers, however, they really lack in being skilled and thourough, at least in my opinion. Yours in yet another unfortunate example.

I was also pissed with how MUFON did their investigation in Stevensville. They had tents set up, and witnesses lined up to give their statements, providing their names, addresses etc., and patiently waiting for their turns to volunteer this information. Then, months later, the big announcement was about the radar results, and almost an aside about the witness testimony. Which, when combined, was overwhelming just in its corroborative points throughout. Somehow, their standards sidestep the witnesses, and with the bad attitude as I see it, no wonder people hesitate.

I'm not saying don't report, that is really a must. Eventually the information will likely be better handled on an individual basis. But, from what I've read about investigations, part of the picture is visiting the site, taking soil samples, checking with local authorities, etc. To sit a witness down and tear them to shreds is not getting to the truth.

That being said, I hope you find some comfort in knowing that we 'get it' here. I hope too that you spend some time going through the threads and members information and stories; you are not alone.

I can only imagine your frustration. But, I believe you. Not a doubt in my mind.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:11 pm 

I guess I should be glad that I'm not alone, but I'm not.

Ever since my experience with MUFON I have had a nagging fear -- is it possible this organization has been compromised in some manner? What I mean is, perhaps some of these "volunteers" aren't quite what they seem. To find out how things work over there, I got my hands on one of their applications and filled it in. Their application process is fairly lax. They want their people to have some kind of pertinent expertise or advanced degree. (With my bachelor's in environmental science and master's in climatology I easily qualified.) But, nobody at their shop seems to check the resumes for accuracy or truthfulness. I wasn't asked to provide any documentation. And I'm sure they don't have the means to do background checks. It appears that anyone can join. Ex-military, retired intelligence operatives, anyone with a connection to the government could easily slip in. Basically all one needs to do is fill out the application, send in the fee and you are a member. Later, by attending a course you are qualified to be a field investigator. I didn't go that far.

I am convinced that the man I spoke with was not looking for information. He was looking for ways to undermine my credibility. And he seemed to be pretty good at it. He was like a terrier going after a rabbit. Fortunately for me I have what some might call an anti-authoritarian streak. I don't like being pushed around. I despise being patronized. I push back. If I had been someone who was really unsure of what I had seen I might have caved under his questioning. I might have even said, "Gee, maybe you're right, maybe I can't see the James River from the road." I'm sure this sort of witness undermining happens all of the time. Trust me, after a sighting your emotions are running high, the adrenaline is flowing, your senses feel like they are in overdrive. I actually felt as though the world looked different in the hours immediately after my experience. Colors richer, sounds sharper, air sweeter, the sky almost luminous. It was as though I'd taken a drug (not that I'd know anything about that mind you ;)) If someone with a quasi-official sounding title like MUFON Field Investigator were to show up, you might be vulnerable to all kinds of manipulation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:57 am 

You are right. I wish TT96 was still with us, he had very similar experiences, as far as his life changing, and nothing was the same again.

I'm also a member of Mufon, and never thought about it really, but there was no check on anything I 'qualified' with either. I had read some time ago that perhaps MUFON has run its course, and newer researchers have to step up with more modern and professional credentials, and change the status quo of things.

I realize from the way you write, that you probably present yourself very well in person also. I urge you to use caution; this is a murky, messy business. That seems to be a common theme in all the books I've read. No matter how careful and truthful a person is, they are vunerable to much more powerful forces to keep their knowledge silent.

Have you considered writing this all out. From the sighting to all the details of the aftermath, and perhaps consider writing a book? Or publishing your experiences in a magazine or journal?

If you do followup again with MUFON, please keep us posted on any progress, if any. I would love to hear that they cared enough to even return a phone call.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:52 am 

MUFFON has been around for a long time and they haven't changed nor do I expect they will.

Scary outfit if you grab it from the wrong end, but that was a very long time ago.

No craft of earth origin would be allowed to hover over a nuke plant today, so that in itself says something.

And the military do not want it known that they cannot protect nuclear power stations from ET, which is what it boils down to.

If you want to know a bit more about how these craft are possible check out http://www.gravitycontrol.org

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:17 pm 

Thanks for the link, David. I'll give it a closer reading when I have more time.

How that UFO's propulsion system functioned is a total mystery to me. As I said, it appeared to float and was moving slowly when I first saw it, but it was also capable of instant acceleration. It did not appear to have any effect on the surrounding environment as it moved past. I never got closer than about a quarter of a mile to it, so I don't know if it would have had any electromagnetic effects if I had stood underneath it. At a quarter of a mile my quartz watch and cyclometer both acted normally.

I suspect the rocking motion it exhibited while stationary is a clue. It appeared to me that waves of some kind were working on it. The small boat analogy still holds true in my mind. Just like a boat doesn't have to do anything when it is at rest, the UFO may have been maintaining a level keel as the waves flowed around its hull. But what kind of waves could these be? I have been thinking about all of the energy waves that exist in 3-dimensional space. Magnetic lines of force? If so, you'd expect serious magnetic disruption of anything electrical that came near the UFO. I have read stories of cars stalling when a UFO came near, but I didn't hear of anything like that occurring around here on that day. Gravitational waves? They were postulated by Einstein, but as far as I know they have never been directly observed. But if they do exist is this what the UFO was working against? Then there is dark energy. We don't even know what that is, so it may be useless to even speculate if the UFO had some kind of dark energy drive. But, we do know that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, and it is thought that dark energy may be counteracting the pull of gravity, so if it were possible to generate dark energy artificially, what would this look like? Could a dark energy generator be used as a propulsion system? Just think of the level of technology that would require. It would take a quantum leap in our understanding to come up with anything like that.

I just hope I live long enough to have an answer. The clock is ticking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:33 am 

Rather than gravity waves, think of the nuclear power plant and the waves it is creating.

The power plant itself creates distortions affecting the underlying force of energy supporting the structural dynamics of our planet and it's unified field. Nasty stuff indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:47 pm 

david barclay wrote:
Rather than gravity waves, think of the nuclear power plant and the waves it is creating.
The power plant itself creates distortions affecting the underlying force of energy supporting the structural dynamics of our planet and it's unified field. Nasty stuff indeed.

I'm not so sure I know what that means, David. Not looking for a fight, mind you. I doubt that your typical nuclear reactor pile distorts "the structural dynamics of our planet" anymore than do sunspots or a shower of gamma rays from the depths of space. Now, I'll give you points for an actual nuclear explosion. Who knows how that effects the planet's magnetic field?

What I do know is that the UFO seemed inordinantly interested in the power station. So much so that it hung around at treetop level quite long enough for base security to possibly become aware of it (Can't be sure of that, though. But when I called the security office and told the phone operator that I'd just seen a disc hovering nearby he patched me through to the head of security without a moment's pause. None of them took it as a prank call. I even received a follow-up call about a half an hour later. After a hurried consultation, perhaps?)