UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:33 pm 

Skepticism:

Quote:
Skepticism reflects an attitude of doubt towards the veracity of a certain concept. With reference to the paranormal, skeptics make up a significant portion of those who express interest in such phenomena. Skepticism does not refer to those who refuse to believe in the paranormal. Rather, it applies to people who remain unconvinced until presented with adequate proof. Thus, the skeptic’s position is perhaps best summed up by author Carl Sagan who stated, “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

Debunker:

Quote:
Some paranormal skeptics have taken on the official role of “debunkers.” These researchers focus specifically on disproving paranormal claims. Rather than conduct objective inquiries, debunkers seek only to expose fallacies within the phenomena they study. Due to their passionate disapproval, debunkers frequently cause debate and controversy. In extreme cases, debunkers neglect to accept evidence which contradicts their beliefs. Such persons are referred to as “pseudoskeptics” and generally meet with disapproval from the greater skeptic community.

http://www.johnpeniel.com/skepticism.php

Food for thought.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 pm 

Skeptics say, "Convince me..."

Debunkers say, "It doesn't exist."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:47 pm 

Then there is the debunkerdebuker, who debunks other's opinions, and makes up 'facts' to prove a debunker theory. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:07 am 

Yes there are people that could have a flying saucer land in there back yard.They would say they were imagining it. They would take a picture and then see it and say someone fooled around with there camera when they were not looking.To some people if there mind is set one way or even the other. They will either believe everything.Or the others nothing at all. We are so smart us humans are we not.Or are we.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:21 am 

I have learned over the years to pick my battles as far as UFO's, ET and abductions are concerned, as well as many other topics.

I don't hide from what I believe, but I don't ridicule those that call ME nuts for being a believer either. I wait till they come up for air, hit em' with a one-two punch of carefully chosen words, and walk away.

Amazing though on the other hand, that others will sincerely seek information on all of the above, which really is a wonderful thing, and in which case, me being a windbag is not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:55 am 

Timbit wrote:
I have learned over the years to pick my battles as far as UFO's, ET and abductions are concerned, as well as many other topics.

I don't hide from what I believe, but I don't ridicule those that call ME nuts for being a believer either. I wait till they come up for air, hit em' with a one-two punch of carefully chosen words, and walk away.

Amazing though on the other hand, that others will sincerely seek information on all of the above, which really is a wonderful thing, and in which case, me being a windbag is not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Tim
Yes being a wind bag is not a bad thing expecially when it is cold out side.LOL Yes there is still allot of nice people out there.They are just hard to find sometimes.But under certain situations some mean people actually turn nice.Some not for long and others forever.Yes and as far as people thinking us with experiences are nuts.So what they do not know us.And we do not know them so at that point we are on even ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:06 am 

Mocking and ridiculing people who have an interest in the UFO phenomenon doesn't make someone a 'skeptic' or 'debunker'. It makes them a 'jerk'.

Individuals on internet message boards hide behind the name 'skeptic'. Skeptic is a magic word for them. They think calling themselves skeptics somehow makes it OK to mock and ridicule people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:13 am 

supercarp, you are absolutely CORRECT! And the ones who are "hired guns" are the biggest JERKS of all. I'd like to follow some of their money-trails, wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 am 

Sometimes we keep searching for the answers in hopes we can come up with tangible evidence that something does exist.

I posted some thoughts last year that is food for thought maybe.

I've never seen a 30 foot anaconda snake, but I've seen photo's of them. Do they exist?
I've never seen the pigmys of Africa, but I've seen photos of them. Do they exist?
I've never seen the Amazon river, but I have seen photo's. Does it exist?

I've never seen a ufo ( at least not that I could say as such), but I've seen photos of them. So do they exist?

Is it not strange that just because you've never experienced ufo's,big foot, little foot or Nessie. They don't exist? There are plenty of photos. We just have to take the good with the bad and try to reason the difference, without shoving our views down someones throat.

Generally I have found, that by taking this view, I can gain more information than I would not have gained otherwise.

Slohand
---------
Stop and smell the roses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:30 am 

The bias is a form of social control...it keeps us in our place and dependent on the powers that be here on our little planet.

Bigfoot would throw a wrench in the works for sure, but nonetheless it is well documented and a young one was captured alive in BC at the turn of the century only to end up in a circus.

Same with little folks, which would upset the defined boundaries we are forced to live within or face the scorn of authority.

But ET is even more of a threat to the social order, as the powers that be have no control over them or the ability to dictate protocol.