UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:58 am 

Tweaked wrote:
Any animal can be vicious, David, but evidently the moose just realized the crossing of paths between the two of you was a non-threatening experience.

Yes, it was non-threatening, but I must admit that moose was a formidable sight. He had antlers big enough to push cars up a hill or push them out of his way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 pm 

Tweaked wrote:
Given the choice, I guess I'd rather be eaten by a friend, than slaughtered by an enemy and left to rot.
Yes me to at least my friend would get a meal from out of me.Instead of a bullet in the back just because I was different or had a different belief.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:32 pm 

When I was a little girl, my great-grandfather told me of an ancient and then (allegedly) still practiced tradition by the Eskimos. He said that when they became too old and sick to be of benefit to their families, they would go sit on the ice and allow themselves to become food for the polar bears; the reason for that was, the polar bears were a primary source of life and existence (food, warm clothing, the claws were made into tools, etc.), so by yielding their inefficient existences to the bears, they were aiding the next (younger) generation of Eskimos to have sufficient food, warmth, and tools.

I don't know if this is true, but my great-grandfather certainly believed it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:50 pm 

Tweaked wrote:
When I was a little girl, my great-grandfather told me of an ancient and then (allegedly) still practiced tradition by the Eskimos. He said that when they became too old and sick to be of benefit to their families, they would go sit on the ice and allow themselves to become food for the polar bears; the reason for that was, the polar bears were a primary source of life and existence (food, warm clothing, the claws were made into tools, etc.), so by yielding their inefficient existences to the bears, they were aiding the next (younger) generation of Eskimos to have sufficient food, warmth, and tools.

I don't know if this is true, but my great-grandfather certainly believed it was.
It makes sense and would be a noble thing to do if it is true. But I am not ready to get eaten yet.I have to many things I want to do. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:57 pm 

ME, neither!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:20 am 

Tweaked wrote:

Yes, it is true Tweaked or at least it was some years ago.

It was the same thing they did with anyone who went nuts, they put them out on the ice and left them there because they were a threat to the community or families survival.

I grew up with an old lady who lived next door, she was at one time a nurse and the first white woman to go as far north as she did.......the Eskimos called her Luta, which means mother. She wrote several books on the customs and life of the Eskimos. Her husband was at one time a member of the Northwest Mounted Police and stationed in the far north which is how she came to be there. They both lived to be almost 100, so she was up there at the turn of the century 1900. And get this, she was a heavy smoker, Camels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 am 

I'm not sure if the Aluits fed each other to the bears, but they, at one time, didn't bury their dead. Ground was to hard. Like the american indians, the dead were placed on poles above ground. Then the animals would get to them.

That pretty well changed with the coming of the white man.

Slohand
--------
stop and smell the roses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 pm 

slohand4455 wrote:
I'm not sure if the Aluits fed each other to the bears, but they, at one time, didn't bury their dead. Ground was to hard. Like the american indians, the dead were placed on poles above ground. Then the animals would get to them.

That pretty well changed with the coming of the white man.

Slohand
--------
stop and smell the roses
It really would not matter whether they feed the people to the animals or not. Except the animals would at least have a meal to last them a few more days.Look what man does now and has been doing. Going to old burial grounds and digging up the dead and putting the dead in the museum. How would we feel if someone dug up our parents and did the same thing. Or does it make it alright because when everyone from that family is gone its ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:25 pm 

This is a tough one, because I can easily see both sides of the issue.

I can understand why many find excavating bodies and putting them on display is distasteful and disrespectful.

Carnivals used to do it... they also displayed living people with abnormalities, and while I personally find that practice distasteful, too, some of those poor souls would never have had two meals a day and a bed in which to sleep, had it not been for allowing themselves to become a public spectacle.

But the world of archeology, medical science, and anthropology have acquired a tremendous amount of historical data by analyzing the remains of long-dead bodies. It can be determined how old most of the deceased were at their times of death, whether they died from a particular disease, whether they died from a fall, natural death, or a homicide; science can also determine the kinds of food the individuals consumed, whether they were lacking in certain vitamins and minerals, and a plethora of other information about the lifestyles of the people who lived or traveled around the areas in which the bodies were found.

So this is a two (at least!) edged sword... But I continuously remind myself that bodies are merely encasements in which our life energy resides for a number of days, months, or years. So, for people like myself who believe there is life after the death of the body, I tend to value the research as much as the love that was shown when the body was buried.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:58 pm 

Tweaked wrote:
This is a tough one, because I can easily see both sides of the issue.

I can understand why many find excavating bodies and putting them on display is distasteful and disrespectful.

Carnivals used to do it... they also displayed living people with abnormalities, and while I personally find that practice distasteful, too, some of those poor souls would never have had two meals a day and a bed in which to sleep, had it not been for allowing themselves to become a public spectacle.

But the world of archeology, medical science, and anthropology have acquired a tremendous amount of historical data by analyzing the remains of long-dead bodies. It can be determined how old most of the deceased were at their times of death, whether they died from a particular disease, whether they died from a fall, natural death, or a homicide; science can also determine the kinds of food the individuals consumed, whether they were lacking in certain vitamins and minerals, and a plethora of other information about the lifestyles of the people who lived or traveled around the areas in which the bodies were found.

So this is a two (at least!) edged sword... But I continuously remind myself that bodies are merely encasements in which our life energy resides for a number of days, months, or years. So, for people like myself who believe there is life after the death of the body, I tend to value the research as much as the love that was shown when the body was buried.
I also believe the body is just the shell as a crab shed his to get another one. So for me to have it get eaten by a animal or be undug is not that big of a deal.I was just going on the feelings of how someone would feel if they new it happened to there loved ones.Just as some have there bodys burned with in 24 hours for one reason or imbalmed for other reasons.or eaten by the animals and fed to the fultures. It is just what some people think over others. Nothing more or less.Just a human condition and everyones is different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next