UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Emergency Help?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:27 am 
Unregistered
Is there a program from any airline that provides emergency help for an emminant death? My father Fred Dinwiddie Sr. is in the hospital at Vanderbilt University and has now had a second heart attack and is on ventilators and they say it doesn't look good. I live 10 hours away and am flat broke so I can't get gas to get to Nashville from Virginia. I thought I heard of a program one time that helps people in need like this. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
___

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:14 pm 

Please call your local airline carriers. I had travelled between Vancouver and Ottawa here in Canada when my mother was dying. I had to pay full fare because of the no notice for any discount. It was after the fact that I was told most carriers have emergency seats available for just such a circumstance. (I could have got there sooner had I known). And not only that, you can apply for compensaton of the airline ticket. I cannot remember how much of the ticket was reimbursed. I'm not sure if this is a legal requirement of the airlines or a compassionate policy. I think proably the latter.

Local travel agents would be aware of this, and I urge you to call your local businesses and enquire about this emergency.

Like you, once you get the word that it's time to come home, now!, you'll have to be as prepared as you can. The last thing you should have to worry about is how to get there.

Good luck finding some assistance with that. I hope these policies still exist and are available to you.

Timbit
___

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:50 pm 

[reply]Is there a program from any airline that provides emergency help for an emminant death? My father Fred Dinwiddie Sr. is in the hospital at Vanderbilt University and has now had a second heart attack and is on ventilators and they say it doesn't look good. I live 10 hours away and am flat broke so I can't get gas to get to Nashville from Virginia. I thought I heard of a program one time that helps people in need like this. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.[/reply]

We flew (some 7 years ago) on a half-day's notice to attend to a niece's family's side because she had been found deceased, and her sister lived here near us at the time. We had to have the funeral home fax confirmation of her death to the airlines, and we were given tickets at half-price. But that doesn't sound like something that you can do.

How about calling the Salvation Army? The Red Cross could do it, but they'd want you to sign away your next-born, when it's all over. The Salvation Army, depending upon your local group's financial capabilities, might be able to help, or direct you to a contributing member who will.

If there is a truck stop near where you live, you could take your chances and talk to long-haul truckers who are headed in that direction - one of them might give you a lift. You might also check with UPS or FedEx; they USED to help, but I'm not sure FAA (since 9-11) allows for compassionate transport, anymore.

My heart goes out to you; I wish I could afford to help. If anyone else thinks of something, please post asap.
___

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:06 pm 
Unregistered
Thanks for the advice I am stil trying to contact various agencies but on the weekend they are hard to get hold of. I couldn't sleep last night and actually cried for the first time in 15 years. My wife is heartbroken because we should have the money but we don't. She has emailed her customers who have placed deposits on her puppies to see if they can make another payment so that I can transfer paypal balance and start writing checks to get there. I just don't want to write any bad checks knowing I don't have it. I did get a chance to talk to him 2 weeks ago before all this came about and left it on a positive note telling him how much he meant to me. I am the black sheep of the family in that none of them will help me due to an incident 25 years ago when I was a teenager. My mother in law is a millionaire and won't even respond to our emails either. If he does pass he'll know how I felt about him and that's what matters to me most. He has been in a wheelchair since I was born and for 6 years he has been bed ridden with various problems but was starting to actually start to get out. I don't know what went wrong but he has suffered so much since the age of 19 so I am sure he'll be in a better place. Thanks for letting me use the board although I know it's not customary...if you need to delete any then I understand. Thank you very much. Fred
___