UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:03 pm 

I think a person who kills without remorse is evil, and how his brain is wired is in no wy justifiable for his actions. Nobody knows for nsure what makes a person kill and kill again until they get caught, so its all speculation based on a morsel of science but understanding the brain is something that will take years and years to figure out if they can ever come close, so thwere ate no answers to why a serial killer does what he does. Why bmade me become a full blown heroin asddict at the age of 15 when I was raised with decent morals, taught right from wrong and grewe uo in a smll town,Georgetown, Mass., where most families were upper middle class, we weren't but we did not starve, my mom worked her butt off to p[rovide for us and I just abput raised my sister. Granted, I did not have a normal childhood, was molested by half my dads family,but I am sure there were other kids who had it worse tyhan me and did not turn out to be heroin addicts, went to college and lead normal lives, so why did I become an addict and they did not?Also, they say addiction can be hereditary and even though my father wasa a drunk and a painkiller addict he still was a plant manager for General Electric? Using drugs in the begining did take away my inner demons for ahile butI still think it was a conciouc decision on my opart to use drugs and I just happened to use the one that was physically addicting so I woke each day without a choice, I needed heroin to keep from getting sick. My poimnt is I was the one who chose the path I walked, no one or no cicumstancres can I say gor sure that made me choose to do heroin, the analogy is not much different than a murderer, I think they do it because they simply like it and the more they do the more they like it. joey978

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:15 pm 

I agree with you Joey, they kill because they like it. I don't think forensic psychiatrists can point at that part of the brain! People DO like to kill. They enjoy it.

As to the heredity part. I don't think addictions are heredity driven, and I put that in the same category as the killers who kill because they are hardwired to do so.

It is an assumption based more on sociological factors, and knows no boundaries. A rich kid in Beverly Hills is as likely to acquire an addiction as a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks. The old thinking of applying the direct link between and addiction, and the addiction behaviours of family members, just doesn't work.

Teenagers and adults are very aware of their family history in regard to addictions. If anything, they should be less inclined, having witnessed the aftermath up close and personal. Which leaves me convinced that it is indeed a choice.

It is convenient again to be able to say that where one comes from, has resulted in addiction, sociopathic behaviour, etc., but it just doesn't hold water. Nobody causes anybody else to become addicted, because of their own addictions, or DNA. Addiction is not an inherited disease.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 pm 

Joey, many years ago I attended sessions with a professor who went through intensive treatment for alcohol addiction. One of the physicians showed a chart of the brain, showing how use of drugs and alcohol causes the pineal gland to expand, thus creating an ever increasing need for whatever addictive stimulant has been abused.

He said even in children who's DNA carried a predisposition to addiction, until these people actually ingested an addictive substance the pineal gland remained "normal." He emphasized that in adopted children, about whom there was little or no information available about either parent's background, it is imperative to keep them from ingesting anything which can become "addictive" until they are entirely through puberty, because after puberty, and after adult decision-making has become a good habit, there is less likelihood that as an adult these people will become enslaved to the alcohol or drug upon first contact.

It was explained to my friend and me that because the professor had been a child prodigy (he graduated with a Ph.D. at 17... and had been exposed to alcohol during his college years by frat buddies) his pineal gland had grown to the point where the need for alcohol replaced normal needs, such as eating well, sexual relationships, responsibilities to his students, etc.

So, as in your case, using a substance upon which the both of you became dependent, was a pre-disposition along with a choice. If neither of you had made the erroneous choice, then your pineal gland would not have grown and fueled your needs for more of your substances.

I think this is a little different than children who's brains are malformed in the womb, and are then born with homicidal tendencies, as illustrated in abnormal brain scans. I know it's hard to admit that some children are victims of the way their genes/DNA falls, but I think there's good reason to suspect some of them can't override the violent tendencies, no matter how hard they try.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm 

There was some recent study of drinking behaviour, which lead to addiction, during the ages of 15-25. It was due in part to the brain not being fully developed and the effects of drugs and alcohol were different in characteristics, metabolism, and resulting behaviour.

Teens going through that stage of development have the greatest proportion to binge drink for instance, than somebody over the age of 25. Likewise with the introduction of any other substance, there are distinct differences in how the drug is used, and how much.

Recent studies have also shown that if you take the behaviour of the 15-25 year old, and have the same characteristics present during the age of 25-35, the results would not be the same, because it isn't just the injestion of the substance, there are many factors.

I was not aware that DNA could determine who has the propensity for addiction.

If a person reachees the age of 25 in our socities and has never touched any substances which are known to be addictive, that is a miracle in itself, unless you want to chain him to his bed.

Because the earlier age group drinks more, it is no surprise that they develop more addictive-dependant behaviours than any other age group. Many parts of the body are affected, not just the brain.

I suppose the good news is, that they know enough about 15-25 y ear old users, to know that it is different than at any other time in their lives, and most, do survive into adulthood without addiction. Add alcohol to risk-taking behaviours, and a 17 year old, is it any wonder that they now see that demographic and unique and different.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:17 am 

I have been an addict since I was very young and I have been through hell and back and I have read and heard that I was predisposed to be an addict because my father was an alcoholic and addicted to painkillers. It was a very easy way out for me to explain my addiction and irresponsible actions for many years , that and being abused by my father but ,and I say this with the truth in my heart, I became an addict because I liked the way it made me feel, maybe I did self medicate in the begining but as time went on and I was an addict who used everyday, I knew what I was doing and I knew I was able to get out from under but I made the decision to keep using because it was easier than to face the world and deal with reality, I do not care how or why someone gets to be an addict, the fact is is that they are so now you have to make a decision to either get help or die, its pretty simple really. Some people give me crap about being on methadone, I don't care what they say, it keeps me off all other drugs and thats the bottom line for me plus having two terminal illnesses doesn't help but my life is pretty good compared to what it used to be. I do not go out each day and lead a negative life, my life is about helping others get back to living, feeling , sure days are hard but they are hard for all of us thats life and I have a relationship with my family that is so good and I look back and remember when they wouldn't even talk to me and now things are good but it did not happen overnight I worked hard at trying to get back my life and I still struggle but I do it in a positive way, I do not care what led me to be an addict all that counts is what am I doing now to keep it in check because all of us every person on this planet only has one day to live at a time and life is what I choose to make it for myself, we are the ones who make the decisions that govern our lives so if I use heroin agaian its because I made a concious decision to use it no one forces me to use ,so I believe any one of us can overcome anything in our way if we want it bad enough and are willing to do the work to get whatever it is we want, sounds easy right?h i wish it was. anyway my point is we are responsible for our actions, there may be cases where a person truly does not know right from wrong and is unable to make those distintcions but as far as myself goes I am responsible for the things I do,in the begining maybe circumstances do play a role in what we do ,but i KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAD IT WORSE THAN ME WHO WENT ON TO BE VERY SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE, i CANNOT SPEAK FOR ANYONE BUT MYSELF BUT i WILL LEAVE ON THIS NOTE, i HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT MOST PEOPLE ARE GOOD AND LIFE CAN BE FULLFILLING IF WE ONLY LET IT HAPPEN. hAVving you guys for freinds where we can talk about what we think what we believe is a gift that means a lot to me and I thank you all for letting me share a little of your thoughts with me, it has made me a better person. goodnight joey978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 am 

We're all in this together Joey.

Sleep well,

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:16 am 

Joey, I think of you every day, and wish you the VERY BEST. I can't walk a mile in your shoes, but your shoes may have thicker soles than mine. So... whatever happens, remember that wherever I am, I will make every effort to send you positive energy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:27 am 

To be honest.. i don't even like the idea of donating blood to blood banks... let alone letting someone eat it! or eating someone else's blood! it's unnatural!.. very uncivilized, to boot.. it's also way too intimate in my opinion... and the idea of having some person, that i don't know, take something from out of my body, and store it in a place that i am not allowed to go, and i have no control over who or what kind of person even gets my blood.... i mean... no thank you... lol excuse me for being selfish, but if i have to have something removed, cut out or taken off, it's coming home with me in a jar of formaldehyde... i don't like the idea of my bits and pieces or my bodily fluids being mixed with other people's diseased limbs and stuff and torched... i can't imagine just throwing someone's rotted foot/leg/arm/whatever in a furnace... so gruesome! and hospitals have so many diseases! like that mersa... mersa is rampant in hospitals and there's no cure!!!! why would i want to subject myself to that?

i have friends that donate plasma and blood all the time... i don't know how they can be so casual about it... i mean some of that could be used for science experiments that could potentially end humanity... or cause innumerable diseases (even moreso than what is here already)... they could be aiding in biological warfare or whatever and not even know it! donating your body fluids comes with a lot of responsibilities! creeps me out!!!!

i just can't believe people want to drink blood these days... aids, herpes, hiv, mersa, hepatitis, TB, etc... are you NUTS?... i don't and WON'T even have sex outside of marriage... let alone let some doofus suck my blood for shits and giggles. crazy, crazy, crazy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:30 am 

oh, i forgot to say, please excuse my candor and my language.... a lot of the subjects on here seem to hit a nerve with me! lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 am 

Peeksie, lots of things on this forum are indeed foreign to my way of thinking, but we're all here to learn. So we all just have to read what's posted, bite the bullet and try to look at those posts from a much different point of view, and NOT let the posts that unnerve us, affect us.

We're all a very good group, and the Moderators work hard to keep us all somewhat civilized.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next