UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:40 pm 

Maybe this is one of those things that if the deal seems too good to be true, take a second look and do your homework.

A case in point, in Meaford, Ontario, a nice couple bought what they thought was their dream home, only to find it haunted, and they were forced to leave the home. Unable to get compensated through legal means (should they have been informed of the house history?), they are stuck with it, until some brave soul purchases it.

There is nothing to say, at least in Ontario, that such disclosure has to occur, however, in the states, some of them anyway, there is.

The first link is on the Meaford story, the second on a similar situation in the States.

http://www.thestar.com/article/522743

http://www.thestar.com/article/522744

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:25 pm 

If the sellers make reference to anything detrimental that's causing them to leave the premises via a sale, I personally believe it should be listed in the Disclosure Clause. The realtor doesn't need to "believe" in such oddities, but should be required to list any anomalies alluded to by the sellers, just to be on the safe side of the sale.

While some buyers are superstitious, and wouldn't want a home with a reputation like that, there are others who would find the idea charming, and purchase the home anyway. I wouldn't... I'd rather know some place has an air of "strangeness" about it before I put down my money and go to all the trouble of moving in, which would give me the option of finding a place with NO reputation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:02 am 

Timbit wrote:
Maybe this is one of those things that if the deal seems too good to be true, take a second look and do your homework.

A case in point, in Meaford, Ontario, a nice couple bought what they thought was their dream home, only to find it haunted, and they were forced to leave the home. Unable to get compensated through legal means (should they have been informed of the house history?), they are stuck with it, until some brave soul purchases it.

There is nothing to say, at least in Ontario, that such disclosure has to occur, however, in the states, some of them anyway, there is.

The first link is on the Meaford story, the second on a similar situation in the States.

http://www.thestar.com/article/522743

http://www.thestar.com/article/522744

Tim
I read the article, it must really be haunted to make a family move, and the realty co. should not only reimburse them they should be compensated by the pain and suferink they went through, That could have lifetime danage to any or all in that family, problems staying with them forever. Can't they sue in court, civil? I do not know the laws of canada. joey978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:16 am 

No, I don't think they can sue unfortunately. I really feel for them too, because everybody knew about that house, and many others experienced ghostly happenings.

Meaford is a community of only 5,000 people. Apparently the realtor said he wasn't aware that the house was haunted (yeah right!), so maybe they can somehow get somebody to listen to them, at least enough to get their deposit back.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:20 am 

I doubt there is any legal recourse, whatsoever. Unless the area already has a legal clause for just such inconveniences incorporated in the City or the Province's Laws, I'm afraid PROVING the house is haunted is about as easy as proving UFOs landed on your front lawn without permission.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:22 pm 
Unregistered
I am the owner of the above mentioned home. Not only are we left with a home we can not live in but our realtor has told us that if we dont shut up about it they will sue us! They have also told members of the media that we lied and have disconnected our phone and left town. Which is untrue. They said they would help and then they would not even answer our calls. This is real and it is really happening to us. We are a young family and we have been forever changed by this experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:53 pm 

Oh rchapman,

I really feel for you. This is a terrible position you are in. What is very real to you, was also real to many others, yet, not disclosed. At least had somebody said something, you could have made an informed decision.

Talk about blindsided.

I do think that because it is not something 'legal', with regard to what realtors normally have to disclose, it would be impossible to prove. And, even at that, who would think to ask their realtor when they're going through a house they're considering buying, "Um, excuse me, but are you aware of any information that might indicate this house is haunted?". And even at that, if they say 'no', how can you prove otherwise.

I am really glad you posted here. Perhaps there are some here who can offer some suggestions and thoughts on this that you may not have yet considered.

Best of luck to you,

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:51 pm 

Perhaps this will read as a grim, bitter-sweet idea ... but there are lots of ghost hunters who look for tour guide brochures of haunted places, just for the thrill of staying there a night or two.

This may not salve your wounds of being misled by the real estate agent, but perhaps you can recuperate some of your losses by renting out the home/property to tourists, or international ghost hunters who LOVE to go around and set up sophisticated equipment for a specified length of time, just for the thrill of possibly capturing anomalies in photos and electronic sensors.

I know that this doesn't legally help you in your quest for justice ... but charging people to "enter and stay at their own risks" might be an option you can pursue. You'd have to have a little different liability insurance, probably, but if you can't live in the house, and you can't sell it, perhaps the brave-hearted souls who have the dollars to be thrill-seekers can at least help you financially.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 pm 

Location: City of Redcliffe, just North of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Here is an idea, challenge the Realtor in Civil Court on the premise that he/she should stay a week, working from the house in question, to "prove"it is not haunted, if the Realtor refuses then you have 2 answers, 1) the Realtor knew about the "Haunted House" reputation all along and thus supplied goods under false pretenses (defined by saying they did not know about the "Haunting"
and 2) The Realtor themselves believes in ghosts and by refusing to stay there is admitting that they lied about the house to ensure the sale... (the lie being that they denied knowing about its reputation)

while nothing could come of the court case in Criminal Law, under Civil Law at least the contract could be declared null and void, the owners might be able to get their money back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 am 

Good advice... :o