Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:52 pm 
Unregistered
[b]Somebody please help![/b]
[b][/b]
[b]By Dark Energy Finding
[/b][font "Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#333333][b]By [/b][url "http//www.space.com/php/contactus/feedback.php"][b]Ray Villard[/b][/url]
Special to SPACE.com
[/#333333][font "arial,helvetica"][#330066]posted 0700 am ET
10 April 2001
[/#330066]
[/url][font "arial"][font "arial"][font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][#333333][/url][font "arial"][#333333]
A strange repulsive force of "dark energy" pervades every nook and cranny of the universe, a team of scientists said [url "http//www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/farthest_supernova_010402.html"]earlier this month[/url], but the force not only pushes against the master force of gravity -- it also has astrophysicists' heads spinning.
While gravity gently binds planets, stars and galaxies together, dark energy tugs on the fabric of time and space, pushing galaxies apart ever faster and faster into the farthest reaches of the universe.
The evidence came in a recent Hubble space telescope observation of the most distant supernova (exploding star) ever detected. The record-breaking [url "http//www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/astrobizarre_000928.html"]supernova[/url] appears brighter than it should if the universe had been expanding at a steady rate. The new finding suggests that a decelerating universe holds galaxies relatively close together and objects in them would have appeared brighter because they would be closer. [font "arial"][#333333]
The trouble is that with this finding and others in the past three years, the universe is beginning to look like a complex witch's brew of dark energy, normal matter and [/#333333][url "http//www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/dark_matter_sidebar_010105.html"]dark matter[/url] (an invisible exotic form of matter).
"This starts to look incredibly ugly and complicated," says Mario Livio of the Space Telescope Science Institute. "I even wonder if we are we asking right questions."[b]
'New ocean of discovery'[/b]
For other scientists, the new finding holds promise for astrophysics. Morris Aizenman, a senior science associate with the National Science Foundation, was so moved by the finding that he likened it to a Keats poem about Cortez' first sighting of the Pacific Ocean.
"It's an entire new ocean of discovery we're about to set out on and I feel that it's an extraordinary opportunity for the physics and astronomy community as we really start probing everything from the structure of an atom to the entire structure of the universe," Aizenman said. "It's all part of the same question."
The dark energy finding closes a loophole left by the second-greatest cosmological finding of the past century -- that the universe is not merely expanding (this is Edwin Hubble's finding of the 1920s, widely noted as the greatest cosmological finding of the past 100 years) but its expansion is accelerating.
Merely a year ago many astronomers were skeptical that the universe was accelerating, despite supernovae (exploded star) observations published in 1998 that suggested space is expanding faster today than long ago just the opposite of conventional cosmological wisdom.
Now, the observation of the farthest supernova ever detected now puts a "big nail in the coffin of alternative theories," says astrophysicist Michael Turner of the University of Chicago.
The dark energy confirmation comes on the heels of other closed loopholes that have shaken up the astrophysics world and lent more support to the accelerating universe idea. For instance, in the past three years, scientists have discovered that the universe is basically flat. This finding and others are knocking down an explanation for variations in the brightness of supernovae -- that some type of cosmic dust simply absorbs the light.[b]
Upheaval for physics[/b]
Saul Perlmutter, who headed up the first group to publish its findings on the accelerating universe three years ago, said the confirmation of dark energy will spark an entirely new brand of physics.
"Dark energy is something we have no clue as to what is causing it, and it doesn't fit into current physics theories, and they have to develop new approaches to explain it," said Perlmutter, an astrophysicist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. "That's exciting. It's rare that we get to do this."
In 1917, Albert Einstein first imagined a repulsive force pervading space, which later came to be called the "cosmological constant." Like a 20th-century version of the mythological Atlas, Einstein sought to shore up the universe by keeping stars from falling together under gravity. Einstein fudged his relativity equations to add a repulsive force under certain conditions in space. This would keep the universe eternally balanced at a "steady state."
When astronomer Edwin Hubble discovered that the universe wasnt static but expanding, Einstein abandoned his cosmological constant and called it his biggest blunder. Astronomers kept Einsteins "fudge factor" locked away as a closet skeleton for decades.
"Now I have to take dark energy seriously whether I want to or not," said physicist Michael Dine of University of California, Santa Cruz.
Livio agreed. "Dark energy now becomes very central to our ideas about the universe," he said.[b]
Percolating energy and quintessence[/b]
Although physicists have yet to say what dark energy is, they have some ideas about where it came from. Some say it could percolate from the vacuum of space. Laboratory experiments show that seemingly empty space is actually seething with virtual particles that wink in and out of existence.
This perpetually bubbling vacuum provides energy that could take the form of a repulsive "negative gravity," some say. The problem is that this vacuum-energy as calculated would be so absurdly powerful that it would have blown apart the universe very long ago. One way out is to assume that the vacuum-energy vastly weakens over time and is not constant as imagined by Einstein.
This leads to another idea called "quintessence" (for "fifth essence") which proposes a repulsive field embedded in space, not unlike a gravitational field or a magnetic field.
Under that hypothesis, the field was created in the early moments of the universe along with the other forces in nature, and now stretches across the universe like a spider web. As the universe expanded and cooled, gravity and quintessence were locked in an arm wrestle for dominance over space. Both fields weakened with the universes expansion. But ultimately quintessence won out over gravity and took control to push galaxies apart.[b]
Laissez-faire astrophysics[/b]
Other astronomers simply say, "Why worry?" Dark energy is just a basic feature of the universe. Trying to explain it is as pointless as trying to explain why Earth was the right distance from the Sun for life to develop. It just turned out that way; if it didnt we wouldnt be here to ask the question.
Historically, successful scientific theories are assembled from the simplest ideas. In the case of dark energy the simpler explanation is that dark matter -- as-yet-unidentified particles that comprise the bulk of the universe's mass -- and dark energy are really manifestations of a new theory of gravity. Maybe gravity weakens over time. Or, maybe the gravitational force leaks into unknown dimensions of the universe, mimicking the effects of eerie "dark stuff" in space.
Astronomers plan to look at more distant supernovae to precisely track how the universes expansion rate has changed, and this hopefully will narrow the dark energy alternatives.
"The dark energy mystery may be answered only by precision astronomical observations and not in the physics lab," says Turner. "One of our goals is to test for dark energy and see if this is preposterous because we are just dead wrong, or find out that we really do live in a preposterous universe."
[/#333333][/#333333]
Hello all, this was found in some unrelated search i was doing, and it caught my eye as in need of some explanation in relation to the Field Theory of gravity that weve been trying to assimilate.
I have hopes that a Mr Barclay may come along and relieve us of our quandry as to how this relates to our earths field....
bergle....
___

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:27 am 
Unregistered
A few thoughts....
Is dark matter composed of dark atoms?
Is dark energy the gravity of dark mass?and somehow antigravitic in nature?
Since the bulk of the universal mass is dark, then it stands to reason the dark gravity is stronger for sure...
stranger than fiction i say...if not fiction itself...
The white-gravity of the white-mass of the universe should slow the expansion of same...but it doesnt...dark energy is blamed for this anomally, but why would the shift to faster expansion occur only five billion years ago in a fifteen billion yr old universe?
What suddenly changed(or merely became aparant five billion yrs past to speed things up?
theres more questions than theoretical answers in this scenario...it cant be correct yet....theres something missing here....
What can it be?The hands of God?
bergle
___

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:32 am 

Good one Bergle..........dark energy & dark matter

First of all dark energy and matter are used to explain what could not otherwise be explained, so they come up with this energy and matter in order to prevent having to say I dunno, it beats me.

The whole cosmology scene is a mess, first we had the universe expanding, but the rate of expansion was slowing and now we have the universe expanding, but the expansion is accelerating.

But only for the last 5 billion years...........that is the point where it went from expansion that is slowing to expansion which is accelerating. I wrote to scientific American on this, but they did not have much of an answer to offer.

Of course the expansion is accelerating, does gravity not decrease in proportion to the square of the distance? Of course it does, so how much gravity do you have at the outer boundary of universe? None..........zero, zip..........remember the universe exists in a relative state, and in our case the universe remains relative to our system of reference which is our position here on planet earth.

If there is such a thing as dark energy it is in fact the underlying force of energy referred to as non-linear time field frequency acceleration, which is symmetrically focused to the core of the earth.

If the underlying energy is accelerating to the center of the earth, in relation to the unified field of the earth, there is not a whole lot of energy at the outer boundary of universe. In fact the differential between the underlying energy at the center of the earth and the underlying energy at the outer boundary of universe is the difference between 1 & 0.

It is difficult to fathom why the astronomers don't get it, perhaps they are trying to make it a great deal more complex and mysterious than it actually is.

If you have an increase in energy in one direction and a decrease in energy in the opposite direction you have a balance somewhere between 1 & 0.

Stability corresponds to balance, so what we have is a balanced field, in terms of a unified field system.

If you take the relative nature of universe into account it all makes sense and appears fairly simple. The outward expansion of universe is a relative effect caused by the inward acceleration of the underlying energy sustaining and perpetuating the unified field of our planet earth.

It is the inward acceleration of energy which affects the outward accelerative expansion of universe. So you have cause and effect. A cause and an opposite but equal effect. So as the inward rate of energy acceleration increases at the center of the earth, so does the outward acceleration of expansion increase in an equal but opposite manner.

The idea that the gravity of universe should slow the rate of expansion is simply a misunderstanding on the part of the scientists involved, as they seem to miss the whole point. They are here, not out there, so they must view the universe from where they are situated, in relation to their relative view of universe.

If they were to consider an underlying force of energy sustaining and perpetuating the relative condition of field remaining relative to the system of reference the problem would be solved and they would no longer be puzzled by the mysterious dark matter and dark energy they invented in an attempt to solve a problem they did not understand in the first place.
___

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 pm 
Unregistered
Ah, David, such a neatly wrapped package....its too simple....theres no research grants to be had with that kind of wrap up...!
Dark Matter must be worth another billion dollars in grants!
Gat away!they wouldnt want a thousand promising carreers studying non existant dark thingys to get sucked into feeding the poor would they?And not to mention those free tickets to exotic locales where they can sit around and discuss non existant dark thingys while sipping mai-tis and basking would they?
Cmon Davey!That would amount to blasphemy!It would spoil all the fun....!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch......:x
bergle
___

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:00 am 

You make me laugh Bergle.

A couple of years ago I saw a special program about a gal who was using one of the big telescopes to photograph every inch of the sky in the hope of getting a glimpse of the mysterious dark matter.

Yes, great piles of money going into this type of research, which must be a bit of fun for those doing the work and collecting a nice pay package just for indulging in their own pleasure.

My favorite is neutrinos, the mass-less particles from space, billions of which pass right through the earth every second. And some of these guys have managed to secure decades of funding for their underground neutrino catchers. So they wait, year in and year out for these invisible particles to appear. Nothing anyone can see, but something they claim they can measure nonetheless without any certainty of identifying exactly what it is they are measuring. A job like this sounds not too bad.

Sort of like having an invisible friend, that only you and you alone can see and hear.
___

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:15 pm 
Unregistered
Theres a mineshaft somewhere in Canada, where they have a huge tank of cleaning fuild....(not for sniffing mind!)
The hope is they will catch a stray neutrino or two in this tank...
It is as good a job as it gets i suppose, but lets hope they re-align the theory before too much longer...(seems we spend some very hard earned bucks on wierd thingys for research...)
This sounds akin to placing a tooth under yer pillow in hopes of snagging the tooth fairy...!(at Gov expense!)
ya gotta love it!
Maybe we could contract some of bills micros to herd a few neutrinos over their way...?
berg
___

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:07 am 

Yes, its at the 3000 meter level of the Creighton Mine in Sudbudy, the same mine where there is a horticultural nursery at the 1400 meter level.

What's amuzing about this is that the scientists who come and visit this vat at the bottom of the mine have to go past the level where the nursery is located, but never stop to have a look...........weird. Even Hawking has been down there a couple of times.

What a place for some photos.........whoa, that would be interesting as flashes of light are occasionally reported down there. And believe me its dark down there, so dark you would lose your perception of up and down in a few minutes in that kind of darkness. That's why its against the rules to turn your light out, because it might fail to turn back on and then you'd be in real trouble. But I couldn't resist......and my light did turn back on.
___

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:37 am 
Unregistered
David, have you ever heard of the east indian swamis who go into caves and turn out their light for years by being bricked up in there?They work in pairs...the young accolyte trudging up the mountain for years bringing food and water to his particular swami till the swami dies in there in total darkness for years and years...They say these guys do astral travel to the furhtest parts of the universe from right there inside that black black cave...
The very best RVing was accomplished by RVers in a boat...(a submerged submarine...about 300 ft down....)
Perhaps we too can get somebody else than me to take some underground pics...its an helluva idea!anyone know of any miners?or anyplace we can get down under(i dont mean australia)it wouldnt have to be 3000 ft but that would be very nice...
Also, why not australia?can we get some night shots from far below the equator?anyone with relatives there?
ooops i think i am mixing threads up here....time for sleep not coffee!
bergle
___

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:38 am 
Unregistered
So much for the mining business...but theyll keep diggig till they exhaist the research money regardless of whether neutrinos get caught in the act or not.....
Still,(i know...questions questions,)but we havent come to the interesting part of the article yet....and i am very curious as to what you guys think(or even if you noticed)
The consecus being that the expansion of the universe is speeded up as of five billion or so years ago(relative to us)
What the hay could have this effect?The idea of a steady state universe is smashed to smithereens and nobody has come up with a reason for the blow!
Yet, there you have it...the rate of expansion is faster now...This does make sense that as things fly apart, they will have less gravitic expansion...OK....but why did they suddenly(in universal terms )begin to deviate from the expected(at leats by me)steady increase in that rate due to gravitic force lessening with distance?
has the process a series of tipping points where beyond which increase must accellerate?(because of distances)kind of like fits and starts,or what?
The ideas begin to foam up in my head...time travelling creates some fabric rips and some event 5 bil yrs ago, ripped the living snot out of our fabric?
The possibility that the measuements and calculations they used are wrong(remember they are running on outmoded theories)
The adjustment to universal expansion (or correction)took place because of some other event or situation(it didnt just suddely hit the gravitic damper for no reason...)
Is there some really monster universal type black hole that our universe has come under the influence of?
No, that would entail the whole universe drifting in that direction as a whole...
Wouldnt it?
Perhaps others may have some input here, my list of reasons just gets wierder as i think about it...
bergle
___

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 am 

Bergle,

The idea was that up until a few years ago the universe was supposed to expanding, but the rate of expansion was thought to be slowing.
Then they discovered that the rate of expansion was not slowing but was accelerating.

So now they say that 5 billion years ago the rate of expansion was slowing but suddenly switched to an accelerated rate of expansion.

So I wrote to Scientific American on this to find out what was so different 5 billion years ago, and guess what.........nothing was different. Well, I'm glad they cleared that one up.

The idea that the rate of expansion should have been slowing makes me go huh, what the hell is this?

If gravity decreases in proportion to the square of the distance the rate of expansion should be accelerating with distance, so the more the universe expands the faster it should expand. So why would anyone think that the rate of expansion should be slowing?
___