UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gov funding for SETI
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:40 pm 
Unregistered
Does anybody know how much government funding (tax dollars) SETI has received? With all the pressing human needs here on Earth, I don't see how this can be justified. If private entities want to spend their own money on this, that's fine. But I don't want my taxes used for this. How can this possibly benefit mankind?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:29 pm 
Unregistered
First the government had a budget of roughly 90 million set aside for seti. divided by say 140 million taxpayer half of the US. population comes to what? 64.5 cents per taxpayer
Well the benefits of looking into space are too many to list
even if the search for Seti yields only the view of chunk of cosmic rock about to collide with the earth. But then maybe
our tax dollars are better spent on rebuilding rich people`s fancy homes oceanside along any seacoast after a hurricane blows them down right? How does this benefit taxpayer?
trades men are paying through payroll tax deduction to rebuild the same rich people`s houses that the hurricane blew down, and guess what ? they don`t pay taxes at the same rate as poorer people. What this country has spent on space and Seti. has produced many benefits just look around for
products and technology that did not exist before space exploration. Yea .. let`s spend tax money on the rich and wars instead of science we are probably better off that way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:32 pm 
Unregistered
Segue. Seti is privately funded today and ahs been for some years.
forgot to mention it earlier.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:42 pm 
Unregistered
What has baan accomplished looking in those frequencies all these years?I am beginning to believe that we will have to seek communication on a differewnt wave length than radio.....
Pehaps we will stumble upon communication with the others of this universe on some type of previously unknown means of faster than light comm.But i seriously doubt that we are going to hear the cry from afar on a very primitive wvae band even for todays standards where lasers may provide a better and more easily detected signal.
Personally i await some more pertinent technology whatever tht may amount to.
I truely believe that when we actually do stumble on the correct approacjh to interstellar comm.then we will find the band absolutely crammed with signals......
I have to conclude tht Seti has proved radio is not it.........
___

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:04 am 
Unregistered
If SETI was the worst thing that my tax money was spent on I would be happy.

If contact is made mankind can benefit from possible medicines and technology not found here on earth.

---------------------------------------------------
___

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:00 am 

The people at SETI are dedicated; however, the government won't tell them that they are being used as a smoke-screen. So many times I've heard, "If UFOs are real, then we wouldn't need SETI... so obviously, the UFO people are crazy."

And that's the gist of it.

As long as any kind of funding can be gleaned for smoke-screen projects which give the appearance that learned scientists are still looking for alien intelligence, the skeptics have a legitimate forum for debunking the things most of us know have substance and truth.
___