UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:56 am 
Unregistered
What's this information based on?

If the earth is moved from it's orbit it will destroy all life on the planet and I can't think of anything, including meteor strikes, that would actually cause the earth to shift orbit.
___

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:45 am 

It happened once before, at least once, according to historical records.

Evidently the earth was closer to the sun and the year was only 360 days long and of course the poles were located differently.

Polar shifts have occurred over and over again, as have orbital shifts.........it runs in cycles.

Have a look at Worlds in Collision and Worlds in Chaos or even Worlds in Upheaval by Velikovsky, he was a friend of Einsteins.
___

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 am 
Unregistered
I'm aware of Velikovsky and have read his books. I'm afraid I think the man didn't know what he was talking about. He obviously had no understanding of physics or astronomy (and why would he - he was a pyschoanalyst).

The main problem is that he offers no scientific evidence for his claims and he assumes cosmology and mythology agree (a large assumption).
___

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:02 am 

If you follow the story of Velikovsky, you will find that he and Einstein discussed this at length, whereby Einstein did finally agree that there was merit in what he was saying.

In terms of physics, nothing he described is impossible or contrary to the dynamics of our solar system.

If you describe all written and verbal history as mythology, then you're kind of left hanging out in the breeze.

But, try quick freezing a mammoth sometime and see just how cold it has to be in order to do the job. Very cold.

The Arctic was once a tropical jungle, as was Antarctica.

Velikovsky was an extremely intelligent person, who was given the short end of the stick due to academic and political prejudices. He has been proven right on all of his predictions that have been tested to date.
___

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:06 pm 

There is a GOOD video out called, "The Coming Magnetic Storm" and it talks about how the earth will tilt more, and instead of having 2 major poles, we will have 4 weaker ones, which will allow more meteorites to enter the gravitational pull of the Earth and this will screw up the tides, the normal flow of the Gulf Stream, and it paints a very bleak picture of life after 2012 for all inhabitants of Earth. NOVA has now released it thru Amazon under "MAGNETIC STORM" as the title.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Magnetic-Storm/dp/B0000B1OFS/ref=sr_1_1/105-2536163-2287620?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1189868264&sr=1-1[/url]
___

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:11 am 
Unregistered
Yes Velikovsky and Einstein were friends, but Einstein suggested to Velikovsky that he revise his books - "however, it is evident to every sensible physicist that these catastraphes can have nothing to do with the planet Venus and that also the direction of the inclination of the terrestrial axis toward the ecliptic could not have undergone a considerable change without the total destrucion of the earth's entire crust. It were best in my opinion if you would in this way revise your books, which contain truly valuable material. If you do not decide on this, then what is valuable in your deliberations will become ineffective." [July 1946]. It's nice to see they remained friends for years.

However, I do agree that scientists treated him shabbily and continue to treat those who dare buck the system shabbily. Disagreeing with theories is part and parcel of science but those who are deemed "heretical" are treated as such, which I do disagree with. Strangely, science (supposedly so rational) often behaves like the Mediæval church at times!

The problem with mythology is that because it was original oral it changed and evolved over time, some parts were lost, other's were added to and changed. Unfortunately mythology is not a useful tool for trying to get at the truth because we don't have any record of what any particular mythology was like originally. Also, we tend to read these mythologies with 21st century eyes and idealogies which is not helpful in trying to see what people of ancient cultures were trying to say because we can't see with their cultural eyes. They saw the world in totally different ways to us.

Science has explanations as to why the Antarctic and Arctic were tropical, as indeed was the UK once.

He was an intelligent man and yes some of his predictions have come right, although the reasons he came to those conclusions are actually wrong.
___

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:13 am 

Two people I wish I had had the opportunity to speak with were Velikovsky and Fuller, and now they are gone.

Science has an explanation for a lot of things, but that does not mean they are right.

Take energy for example........science does not know what energy actually is, yet by the sound of it you could be led to believe they do.
___

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 am 
Unregistered
That's very true. Science does like to think it is The Great I Am with all the answers, although generally I've found astronomers tend to be completely unembarassed about admitting they have no idea about some things.

Science doesn't like to admit, I suspect, that there are things that lie beyond their current understanding of the natural laws (and perhaps will always remain beyond their understanding). Scientists will quite happily admit that there may be other inhabited planets but poo-poo any idea that they may have sufficient technical capability for interstellar flight, because we can't do it.
___

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:38 pm 
Unregistered
Hi. I just thought I might add to this thread after reading a book called "the final theory"
It calls into question whether Einstein and Isaac newtons "laws" were actually correct.
How it explains the law of gravity being wrongly explained to us over the years ...if the sun were to totally disappear in an instant, we would not feel the effects of its gravity in the same instant, but we would still see the light from it until the last light to leave the sun had travelled the 93 million miles.
So...when they say that energy/matter cannot travel faster than the speed of light how is it that the gravity from the sun outspeeds the light emitted from it. Gravity is also a form of energy, that has no source of power, but has been working to hold the moon place for billions of years, where does it get its source of energy from

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:16 pm 

[url]http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2007/10/[/url]

Above is a link to the COAST TO COAST AM Radio site. This topic was discussed in depth, October 2nd, 2007, and the author/lecturer (I've had the great honor of meeting and hearing speak on this topic in person) is Maurice Cotterell. Below is a link to Goggle's cache of info on Maurice. If you are a member of C2C's "Streamlink Family" (anyone can join for a fee of around $40/year and download previous shows or listen live on your computers every night) you can go back and hear this show which I found extremely interesting.

[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Maurice+Cotterell[/url]
___