UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:45 am 

Every time we pick a candidate for President, we hope, that IF elected, that candidate will not disappoint us. What we forget, or rather, what we can't know, is how stacked against them so many others in the political process appear to be. There are some elected officials who, given the right timing, DO live up to many of their campaign promises as best they can. There are others, however, like the present regime, who spouted rhetoric to achieve their respective goals, but had every intention of going into Iraq, no matter what... and that was from well BEFORE the Twin Towers were brought down, and the Pentagon was struck. It was the OIL and being able to create the future demise of Saddam Hussein that Mr. Bush wanted; what Mr. Cheney wanted is exactly what he got--a puppet President whose strings he can manipulate, and Mr. Bush doesn't even realize just how much of a paper tiger he was, from the beginning. It would be so sad if it weren't so criminal.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:00 am 

I have heard that Bush has just followed in his fathers footsteps and that he still answers to his father and does as he's told. Ann

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:17 am 

I don't think he follows "Daddy's" orders nearly as much as he's locked in boot-steps with his Vice President, Mr. Cheney. That's just my opinion, but lots of us share that one...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:03 am 

No offense taken by me... I know (somewhat) how devious our Leaders have been, and still appear to be. And I can only imagine, if I were from a different country, how I might think of the depth and breadth of U.S. corruption. But you're right ... the higher percentage of the people here are, or would be AGHAST to know the full truth about how devious and corrupt our leaders have been, and many still are.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:36 am 

In Australia it's by law that everyone has to vote even if they are out of the country at the time. If you don't you had better have a really good reason for it or you get punished (actually fined but if you don't pay the fine your're jailed) Anyway that means every Australian citizen 18 years and older, like it or not has to vote, there is no choice that way we know we have the consensus of everyone but in America is it that you don't have to vote if you don't want to. Wouldn't that make it difficult to know what all of the people actually want. Wouldn't that be more open to people useing other peoples names to vote one particular way. Wouldn't that make it easier to rig an election. Ann

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:51 am 

GOOD questions, Ann, and I'll try to answer, to the best of my abilities.

In America, we must (first REGISTER (now) show proof of Citizenship) to vote, and in some states, must also show government issued photo I.D. (Drivers License, Passport, etc.) The Feds are pushing for a National I.D. which a lot of states are rallying against, but I'm afraid they will eventually lose... (Without it they won't be able to enter federal buildings or travel)

We have more than 12,000,000 illegal immigrants from ALL OVER THE WORLD (not just Latin America) so I think the Nat'l I.D. will go through.

We don't have to vote, even if we register.

BUT. Unless we have a doctor's certificate saying we're disabled, we MUST report for jury duty, whenever we're called. (I was married to first a cop, and then a bank robber... so NO ATTORNEY EVER WANTED ME on a jury. And I reported for jury duty for more than 20 years. So, for 15 years I just refused to send back the jury summons that came in the mail. Recently, however, they actually began JAILING people who didn't repond, so after I became ill, my doctor finally relented and Certified me to forego Jury Duty.)

There probably have been instances of people voting for others, votes from service people in Afghanistan and Iraq NOT being counted because they have no physical address, currently, here in the U.S. And a lot of those people disenfranchised were African-American and Hispanic. So there's a lot of discrimination that has gone on, and possibly will go on in the future, until Homeland Security chips all who will permit it.

As I think of more things, I'll post them; this is the best I can do for now. I'm getting very tired.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:09 am 

Thanks Tweaked, I am interested. things seem so straight forward here, you live such different lives over there. (Not in all ways of course) Ann

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:54 pm 

I dont' think anyone would be offended by an honest point of view. When Governments put themselves out there, they are wide open to interpretation of their actions.

Man's inhumanity to man indeed has its borders, although No country is exempt from the actions of their governments, not should they be. But, I do agree that not all political leaders make decisions that truly reflect the otherwise generous nature of its inhabitants, especially in time of dire need.

We are all in this together.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:00 pm 

Interesting about the compulsory voting. Canada had a dismal 64% turnout the last time around. Most don't realize that you can still excercise your right to vote even if you don't want to vote for a particular person, by registering a conscientious decline. I've done it myself. That way, at least you are saying that you aren't voting because none of the candidates are suitable to you.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 pm 

We have Absentee Ballots, so if we're going to be out of town, or in the hospital, or know we can't get out to vote in person, we can send in the ballot by mail, but I'd much rather go in person. I do, however, think it would be a good idea that ALL U.S. Citizens or State Citizens be required to vote. It would be a lot better for the overall election results, I think. But, then, perhaps some feel the same about forced-voting as I've always felt about forced jury duty. So it cuts both ways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next