UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 am 

This all sounds very nice.......but we the people are responsible for the conditions that exist today if only because we have failed to be vigilant.

We are too quick to shove it off on someone else and leave it to George to deal with, we are far too busy enjoying ourselves and pandering to our own egocentric attitudes.

We blame government.......but what are we as individuals willing to do to change the picture?

Complain.......?

Someone will say they voted........but have they any idea what they voted for?

The candidates look very smart.....say nice things and promise to do exactly what we want and when they don't we complain about it.......and then we go back to what we were doing, as if by some unknown means our world is going to change for the better.

We believe in government just like we believe in the tooth fairy........and many would be aghast to discover our leaders don't share our belief.

People would not vote for an honest candidate.......they like the bull crap....it has a good taste to it......a smooth flavor.

Who are we kidding........ourselves....we have all been living a lie for far too long.

Congratulations, telling the truth is now a punishable offense.......conviction without trial.....indefinite detention soon to be extended north and south into Canada and Mexico.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 pm 

I like the Canadian way Timbit mentioned where you can vote with a conscientious decline. What a great idea, I wish we had it here. Even though we have about 20 parties all vieing for our votes their really are only two who realistically get in. Labor or Liberal. All the others agree before hand that if they don't get in (and they really know they can't) that all their votes will be given to one of the two bigger parties. That's fine but if someone is not happy with any of them they still have to vote and a lot of these people put in what we call a Mickey Mouse vote which means they either write on the ballot paper that they want Mickey Mouse to win or they don't put anything at all. The trouble with doing that though is that all non serious votes are given to the party that is currently in Government. If we could do what you can Timbit that would eliminate that problem and then the wrong party wouldn't get votes that they dont deserve. Ann

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:06 pm 

The first time I voted that way, I took my kids with me. They were not taught that that was an option, even though they covered the election and related topics in school very well. When I presented my voting card and said I wanted to place a concientious no-vote to indicate no parties were acceptable to me to give any of them my precious vote, they had NO clue what to do. Elections Canada has an official at each polling station, and she needed to find out the proper proceedure. It was an easy proceedure, but an unknown one. I thought then, as I do now, that perhaps it's not so much an apathetic public that doesn't wish to vote, but that they didn't know they can register a vote to essentially say the candidates are all idiots. ;) Maybe a few million votes to say I am excercising my right to vote, but there are no suitable candidates would paint a clearer picture of what people actually think about the choices put before them.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:00 pm 

We have a "write in" line on our ballots. We can write in anyone for President, even though the name isn't there, and perhaps the person isn't even running. Lots of Americans vote for their dogs, cats, or a parent, from what I've heard.

Our jury pool is taken directly from the people who are registered to vote, so to get your name off of a Jury Summons, you have to abstain from being a Registered Voter. And I'm told sometimes even that doesn't work...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 pm 

Interesting. I could think of a few that I'd like to add to that line if it were available here ;)

I'm wondering though if those votes would just be tossed out instead of registered as a conscientious objection. Not that it really matters in the long run, I still think that people will not vote at all rather than line up to cast a vote that won't make a difference anyway.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 am 

I think it is a really good idea. My husband has often said he doesn't like any of them and hates the fact that he's forced to choose someone he dissagrees with and since we both take voting seriously then a Mickey Mouse vote just wouldn't do. I think telling them that none of them are suitable would be a much fairer solution and maybe it would help to make them buck their ideas up. Maybe make them try harder to get those votes and I reckon there would be heaps of them. Ann

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 am 

Just to add. With our Juries I know anyone can be called and in particular those with higher university qualifications which I hold as do a lot of my friends but I've never been called and I don't know of anyone friend or family who has been, not even a friend of a friend of a friend. Perhaps we just don't have as many trials by jury as your country. Ann

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:38 am 

We get some kind of nominal fee for each day we serve on a jury, plus one-way mileage of $.17/mile. I think my partner got $15/day.

When you consider that most people are NOT paid by their employers for time spent on jury duty, and that most people make $7 to $15/hour at a normal job (for 8 hours that being $56 to $120/day), being drafted into jury duty is a tough road to hoe for may people, especially those who are self-employed, and if they don't work, they don't earn enough to cover their weekly/monthly expenses. The Courts (I know for a fact) DON'T CARE... last year one of my close friends who works for herself was drafted into jury duty; she explained to the court that she makes $150 to $350/day for her services, and wouldn't be able to pay her utilities or her rent if she were forced into servitude for 10 days. The Court refused her plea, and forced her to give up 1/2 month of income, just because they could... She had to borrow money from family & friends to make up the loss of wages. Yet an employer who is willing to do so for a worker can write a bogus letter saying their business will suffer loss of profits if the employee is taken away from the job, and the Court will allow that employee to be excused from duty. So it depends upon which companies employ you, and how much clout those company have with the City Court Systems.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:32 am 

I think that sucks that they don't care if the person doing the duty loses money and is affected but big (or otherwise) bussiness they do care about and they can afford the loss. I know that without the businesses and the like people wouldn't have jobs in the first place but surely they can do the right thing by people. Without people there would be no need for the business in the first place and then all those share holders who do nothing would have to miss out. Ann

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:28 am 

I personally dont' think anybody should be exempt from jury duty. It is an privilidge and an obligation as a citizen that is part of living in a democratic society- judging and being judged by your 'peers'.

It is a duty I'd personally not think twice about, even if it meant tube steaks for a month.

Tim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next