UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:07 pm 

We managed without all the online and wireless stuff in the past and we could easily manage without it again, but it's became all so convenient for a lot people. And taking away their moblie phone or computer is an unthinkable option for most.

What's quite worrying is the way civilization has come to rely solely on technology..and if our technology and information systems were to go wrong or go down for a time...there is nothing to back up what would be lost and or needed.

It would all just descend into chaos...but as far people think it's impossible that nature might knock out all our technology.

Peace, Caper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 pm 

I agree with you Caper.

the wife and I have two Tracphones and use them only for emergency purposes, and our main phone line is the land line.
I grew up in the age before the home computer and learned how to survive without all this technology we have today.
Yes it is nice to have, but if everything goes down, millions won't know how to go on with life.

Since I grew up before this time of technology, I would be one of those who will be able to keep going.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 am 

What disturbs me is... if all of this technology suddenly just went away, with no paper to back up what's happened in the past 25 years, future archeologists would think we ceased to exist at the time DISCO was fading out. How embarrassing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:34 pm 

That's it guys..it's certainly nice to have and be able to speak to someone half way around the world at the touch of a button.

But like you said Jeff, there are so many now who solely rely upon it...they wouldn't know their eyes from their elbow without facebook or a Blackberry to hand.

Using and enjoying the internet and other technology is fine...but relying upon it as your only resource is a very dangerous mistake in my opinion. People should have a back up plan at the very least.

I agree Tweaked, what's wrong with the old pen and paper...it's trusty, reliable and can still record things when the power is no more. Future civilizations may very much be like we are now...trying to fit it all together and wonder what happened to everything and everyone.

The disco thing would certainly be funny Tweaked, the future archaeologists would be wondering why these people who were he before had 4 wheels attached to their shoes and wore strange glasses and clothing. :lol:

You can imagine it can't you...2012? Don't sweat it...i have an iphone..they probably have an app for 2012 on here somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 am 

Paper and pens? I have a thing about pens and pencils and paper products, I enjoy the back to school sales....maybe its the smell of school supplies.

I have to restrain myself otherwise I would be filling my basket with stuff.....geometry sets, how many does one guy need? And pens, you can only use one at a time, but you can never have too many.

Maybe I come from a pen and paper culture?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:52 pm 

I'm totally with you on that one David. I love pens and paper too. Add a library to that and it's heaven!

Penmanship is a thing of the past unfortunately. Remember those lined books? We all had decent penmanship- then.

My son's writing is horrible! Two degrees, and the kid can't write a sentence anybody can read.

I think it is merely symptomatic of where we are now, as opposed to a few years ago.

Would we survive without our electronic devices? I'm not so sure......

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 pm 

Ah yes, sales of school supplies, my favorite time of the year.
Even though my desk is filled with paper and pens, and about 300 different colored pencils I still don't have enough of it.
I can not write, but am very good at printing out my writings, and have been complemented on how nice it looks.
But it took time, and the step-son can't even print, and when something is written from his family to ours, his wife has to do the writing.

If we lost power across the country tomorrow, I'm affraid that there would be a large increase in the suicides around the country, only because no one knows what they have to do to servive a total balck out.

Here's a true story: I stopped by a store one day, shortly after we had a power outage, and they had to close the store because no one inside knew how to add and subtract, plus on top of this it got them mind boggled when they had to add in taxes.
What has this world come to?
When I was learning math in school, there was no calculators, we had to use scrap paper to do out our equations.
Today, because of this, I can add aand subtract quickly in my head, and usely have an answer before the cashiers do with the computer.
Not saying I'm a genious, far from it, but I always loved math.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am 

Talk about dumbing down the masses... it's been going on since we started using calculators instead of slide rules!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 pm 

To answer that one Timbit...we could certainly survive without our eleectronic devices... I'm not sure how many would want to though.

Probably not a whole lot.
Many might wonder what is the point of life if there is no facebook or no place where everyone can go ego mad and pose for the camera with some alcohol.

Seriously though, i think we'd be shocked and distrubed by just how many would rather end than not have all their convenient technology.

Peace, Caper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 pm 

It is interesting in this article, that the pope admits to decades of abuse against innocent people. They talk about saving the church and redemption and addressing the systematic coverups, but, nowhere do they mention the victims.

Now isn't that strange. Typical, but strange.

http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/World/Cont ... ps-vatican

Tim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next