UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:02 am 

"Imagine No Religion" were the words John Lennon wrote while he was still alive.

Those words don't say STOP believing; they don't say religion is wrong; they don't say religion isn't viable... they simply ask each and everyone of us to IMAGINE there's no religion. What's the harm in that?!

Has the Religious Right so taken over the U.S. that an organization who DARES to pay to have these signs erected, must endure such discrimination that the company refunds ALL the money paid for the signs, and must agree to take them down??!

This has just happened in the Inland Empire of Southern California.

This is WRONG, and it is unconstitutional.

If I erect the same sign in my front yard and REFUSE to take it down, will some zealot burn down my house? Will someone damage my cars? Will the City come confiscate my property?

I drive by Church marquees all the time that espouse things I don't agree with... does that mean I have the right to harass them into changing their marquees?

Tweaked has attached this image:

Attachments:
imagine no religion.jpg
imagine no religion.jpg [ 17.96 KiB | Viewed 9963 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:52 pm 

Yes, there is something fundamentally wrong with the story.

That it is controversial at all, and has rattled some cages, just goes to show how limited freedom of speech/expression is. The sign is not offensive, nor does it imply any insult to what we otherwise see in 'religious' signs, bumper stickers, religious material in our mailboxes, portable neon signs in front of churches in neighbourhoods warning of hell fire and damnation, etc. Not to mention the invasion of privacy when religious zealots knock on our doors, and spew garbage about the end of the world.

All those messages are somehow ok in both content and delivery. We accept it as 'normal' and ever since we learned to read, we have been reminded of the slanted influence seen every day. Just what is offensive about that sign. A simple sign, based on a simple song, only three words.

Is it possible for some members of our community who may have a different idea about why it has caused such a stir, to post their comments? I guarantee you will not be ridiculed or personally attacked for you opinion, and I'll watch this thread carefullly.

Surely there must be some who can offer an opposing viewpoint of why this situation with the sign, is okay.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:34 pm 

Here are two examples of church marquees, and no one forced THEM to change them or take them down:

Attachments:
6a00e554e81be38834010535f79d0e970b-320wi.jpg
6a00e554e81be38834010535f79d0e970b-320wi.jpg [ 22.23 KiB | Viewed 9943 times ]
obamasignantichrist.jpg
obamasignantichrist.jpg [ 26.75 KiB | Viewed 9864 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:43 pm 

As to whether or not someone from the "Imagine" group has the funding to fight for it's right to have the sign put back up, I don't know. I think this could be a good case for the American Civil Liberties Union.

I think the Zealots intend to work towards making America a Fundamentalist Religion country, which would discriminate against any other religious belief, and force Americans to worship as one people... just as the Muslims and the Taliban demand. Prevention of this kind of discrimination was the whole idea behind separation of Church and State. Yet, the fundamentalists insist that our country was formed on Christian Ideals, which is not true; it's simply the way the fundamentalists want to spin the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 pm 

Tweaked wrote:
Here are two examples of church marquees, and no one forced THEM to change them or take them down:
+ pictures

i will only use this popular internet expression. "I LOLED!"

Highly controlled and forwarded emotions are the key to survival

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:09 pm 

well I do not live in US any more so i can not see what exactly is going on. But all those signs (you posted, and i am sure that there are plenty similar ones) ether show some sort of stupidity of people or crazy religious fanaticism beyond level of reason.

As for me... it is good to be free from religion

Highly controlled and forwarded emotions are the key to survival

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 pm 

That's the way I feel. I treat others the way I hope to be treated, I help when I can, and I try hard not to judge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:55 am 

Imagine, just for a moment, there really is no organized religion. All men created equal in the eyes of the law, and responsible for their contributions as human beings and as functioning members of society.

Further imagine that a special club abuses children. The club is exclusive, and members have abused children for decades. Thousands of children. Thousands.

Quote:
27 February 2004: A report commissioned by the Church says more than 4,000 US Roman Catholic priests had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years, in cases involving more than 10,000 children - mostly boys.

That was in 2004.

A US Vatician abuse case involving three brave victims, is allowed to go forward, based in part, on this directive:

Quote:
It centres on a 1962 directive from the Vatican - made public in 2003 - which told church officials not to disclose sex abuse complaints against priests.

I don't know where this will all lead, but taking away the veil of 'religion' certainly puts these monsters in a more human light.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7749153.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3872499.stm

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:40 am 

Well, the USSR tried this; it didn't work.

I'm not saying the country was brought down BECAUSE of religious beliefs, but what I AM saying is that combined thought (which most of us know works!) was a great factor in opening the USSR to separate countries and freedom of worship (well, at least to some degree). They tried to close out the rest of the world; it didn't work. But I can certainly imagine no religion, even though, knowing the hearts of humans, we would always find something else to discriminate against.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:14 am 

I'm thinking of getting a T-Shirt printed with the words Imagine No Religion on it....

:mrgreen: