UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm 

This caught my eye this morning because, a few nights ago I was at a friends house, and her 3 year old, grade 9 student, was talking about 'Kick a Ginger' day at school.

When we asked her what that was, she said that anybody with red hair, you kicked, and she thought it was hillarious, as it went on all day.

This was all started on a Facebook page, and I realize now just how widespread this 'event' was. Some are considering this a 'hate crime' because it targeted a specific group of people. Some consider it just a goofy prank without serious consequences.

Is it a new type of bullying? What's next, target poor kids, or nerdy kids, or shy kids who are easy to spot and terrorize? Am I over reacting, or is this a really sick sign of moral bankruptcy with more to come.

What would you do if your kid participated. What would you do if your kid was the victim.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/ho ... ger_081124

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:05 am 

My two little ones have redish hair........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:25 pm 

It is amazing how the social networking sites can organize to such an extent. To pull of a cyber-bullying attack on people who happen to have red hair boggles the mind. At least my mind.

Used to be 'the bully' was eventually taken out by somebody bigger, and usually behind the rink shack, and that was the end of it.

I wonder if the kids participating in this event even gave it a second thought. I don't remember reading anything about parents who checked what their kids were doing online, and called their respective schools before it happened.

Makes me wonder what's next in a moral decay, group think kind of way.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:39 pm 

Thirteen-year-olds should KNOW better than to do this kind of thing!

As for it being a hate crime, I don't think it qualifies for that... because NEXT week it will be someone with green eyes, and the week after that it will be someone wearing purple.

But it's disturbing that someone older than 5 years old would deliberately behave like this. What are most parents TEACHING their children, these days? Or are parents too busy working to make money to buy more expensive toys, and just detached, and not teaching their children anything?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 am 

This is from the Canadian Criminal Code:

Quote:
Section 319(1): Public Incitement of Hatred

The crime of "publicly inciting hatred" has four main elements. To contravene the Code, a person must:

-communicate statements,
-in a public place,
-incite hatred against an identifiable group,
-in such a way that there will likely be a breach of the peace.

Under section 319, "communicating" includes communicating by telephone, broadcasting or other audible or visible means; a "public place" is one to which the public has access by right or invitation, express or implied; and "statements" means words (spoken, written or recorded), gestures, and signs or other visible representations.

All the above elements must be proven for a court to find an accused guilty of either:

-an indictable offence, for which the punishment is imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
-an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Now I don't think lawmakers at the time were thinking facebook members organizing a wide-spread attack on red-heads, but it does meet the requirements.

What if it were kick a black kid, or kick a handicapped kid, or kick a Jewish kid. Would we so quickly dismiss it as a harmless prank?

Maybe just a matter of time that any group hate, regardless if it is considered a prank or not, will have to be seriously dealt with under the criminal code?

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/r ... e_hate.cfm

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:33 am 

Maybe that's what all the deserted military bases (the ones others are alleging have been turned into armed concentration camps with no group concentrated in them, yet) across No. America have been waiting for...