UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another reason to doubt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:15 pm 
Unregistered
I had this shown to me tonight and even though i am not surprised i am however obligated to share, I know a lot of people including users on here use Wikipedia please read.

Credibility Of Wikipedia Takes a Dive After Wired Exposé
Online encyclopedia outed as bias tool of intelligence agencies, corporations by new Wikipedia Scanner database
Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The credibility of the online encyclopedia Wikipedia has taken another dive after a newly developed software program exposed how the CIA, corporations like Diebold and others routinely edit entries to bury criticism and manipulate the truth.

In our previous investigation, we revealed how a group of trolls were engaged in a concerted campaign to erase the 9/11 truth movement, along with a host of other controversial subjects, out of cyber existence by voting to delete pages about subjects and individuals that obviously warrant a page on Wikipedia.

Examples we cited included such manifestly provable "conspiracy theories" as "List of Republican sex scandals," "People questioning the 9/11 Commission Report" and "Movement to impeach George W. Bush".

Trolls were even allowed to delete the Wiki page for Dylan Avery, who has appeared on Fox News, CNN and in hundreds of newspaper reports. Avery is the producer of the most watched documentary film in Internet history, he clearly merits a biography page on an online encyclopedia, but Wikipedia had no qualms in letting Morton Devonshire and other trolls deep six the entry.

Devonshire and his cohorts have exhibited extreme bias and agenda driven tactics in organizing to purge Wikipedia of material about the 9/11 truth movement, but Wikipedia hasn't done a damn thing to stop it.

Now a CalTech graduate student has developed a software tool that threatens to slam the final nail in the coffin of any credibility Wikipedia had left.

"Wikipedia Scanner -- the brainchild of CalTech computation and neural-systems graduate student Virgil Griffith -- offers users a searchable database that ties millions of anonymous Wikipedia edits to organizations where those edits apparently originated, by cross-referencing the edits with data on who owns the associated block of internet IP addresses," reports Wired News.

"On November 17th, 2005, an anonymous Wikipedia user deleted 15 paragraphs from an article on e-voting machine-vendor Diebold, excising an entire section critical of the company's machines. While anonymous, such changes typically leave behind digital fingerprints offering hints about the contributor, such as the location of the computer used to make the edits."

"In this case, the changes came from an IP address reserved for the corporate offices of Diebold itself. And it is far from an isolated case. A new data-mining service launched Monday traces millions of Wikipedia entries to their corporate sources, and for the first time puts comprehensive data behind longstanding suspicions of manipulation, which until now have surfaced only piecemeal in investigations of specific allegations."
Griffith has compiled a list of different corporations and branches of government that have abused the so-called impartiality of Wikipedia to essentially edit the truth out of existence, replacing it with a PR friendly facade favorable not to the facts or any sense of neutrality, but only to the interests of the parties concerned.

Virgil Griffith, creator of a software program that allows users to track who is editing Wikipedia entries.

The Wikipedia Scanner (http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/) also allows users to type in an IP range and find out which organizations are editing what pages on Wikipedia.

"The result: A database of 5.3 million edits, performed by 2.6 million organizations or individuals ranging from the CIA to Microsoft to Congressional offices, now linked to the edits they or someone at their organization's net address has made. Some of this appears to be transparently self-interested, either adding positive, press release-like material to entries, or deleting whole swaths of critical material," concludes the Wired report.

Unless Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales (pictured top) acts immediately to completely restructure Wikipedia's entire operating system, the online encyclopedia will gradually combust and degenerate into nothing more than a laughing stock.

From many quarters, the giggles are already being heard.

"I'm going to log on to Wikipedia here and I am going to change it," said comedian Stepehen Colbert. "You see, any user can change any entry. And if enough other users agree with them, it becomes true."

Though Wikipedia's raison d'etre is obviously based around allowing users to edit the content, the checks to prevent abuse and organized partisan attack campaigns against certains subjects or ideas are non-existent and the absence of any kind of reasonable moderation is destroying Wiki's reputation.

Wikipedia is fast becoming a complete anathema to reliable research and will see its wavering reputation as a trustworthy source for information quickly evaporate if it continues to allow itself to be abused by intelligence agencies, corporations and dedicated trolls
___

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:49 am 

That is terrible news. It reminds me of a post here some while ago that compared the various news shows, and how over the years the similarities essentially erase any individualism in news broadcasting. Like an invisible hand writing all the scripts.

I can see, sadly, that those that set out to destroy a huge public resource such as Wikipedia wouldn't have to be rocket scientists to do so. Interesting that the flip side of that technology allows for the public to see who's changing and altering (and deleting) the information, by equally qualified internet sleuths.

It always seems like catch-up. You no sooner block one hole and 10 more appear.

Here's hoping it will survive, but I don't think i'm going to bet money on it.

Thanks for that article, really an eye-opener.

Tim
___

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:27 pm 

It's a shame that such a valuable on-line tool accessible to ALL is being corrupted by fear and ignorance and those who wish to keep all secrets, SECRET! It's not surprising that governments would want to be spoilers - they must have to be sick to wnt to stay in their positions for very long!
___

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:02 am 

It's absolutely amazing what they will do and say to keep the holes covered.

My attitude is that these people should get a real job.

No honesty or integrity required, apply today....and they call that being gainfully employed?
___

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:45 am 

Politics, and the aspirations thereof, seem to corrupt even the best and the brightest who, in the beginning, just want to bring integrity and truth into the world. So many good people seem to find that in the political rings NO ONE can stay and work if he/she really wants to be honest and vote for only the things he/she thinks are righteously worthwhile.
___

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:00 am 

In all honesty I believe it separates the men from the boys, (not meant as a sexist slur), because ones true colors come shining through.

Corruption is a self inflicted wound, as it requires conscious intent.

You can manipulate and control people through various means of deception but you cannot corrupt them...that is something they can only do to themselves. Free will exists at a very deep level and is only accessible from within.

No excuses and no exceptions........
___

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:58 pm 

We all like to [i]believe[/i] this way David, but it doesn't always work. Take even a local City Council, for example: One councilmember is expected by his constituents to get three crosswalks, a much needed Left-Turn signal light, and a couple of speed bumps placed in specific neighborhoods to prevent future serious accidents, aid the even flow of traffic, and get speeders to slow down. He/She needs 2/3 of the councilmembers to agree...

Another councilmember's constituents are from a wealthier neighborhood where building codes are being modified, one-at-a-time, to accomodate larger homes, and the constituents now want a local dog park (where everyone from the surrounding neighborhoods has taken their dogs to play for 25 years) to be changed to a children only park (no dogs allowed), and there is no other suitable location for either the dog park OR the playground. The largest number of people wanting to access the park are pet owners, but the re-election monies come from the wealthy homeowners who want the animals locked out.

The councilmember who wants the better traffic controls for HIS constituents will get the votes of the council members who represent the constituents that are in close proximity to the the dog park and want the dogs locked out. They will vote for the traffic controls that will in the short-run SAVE LIVES ... but only IF this councilmember votes against keeping the dog park for the pet owners, and allows the wealthy constituents to change the park designation.

What about the pet owners who now will have nowhere to take their animals, and there are LOTS of animals and many animals guardians. There are fewer residents with children and HUGE yards on their McMansion Estates for their children to play, but they want the dogs locked out so they can send their children off-yard and get them away from the house for a few hours a day.

Is it worth giving up the rights of the animals whose owners will have to drive 25 miles to another friendly place for their pets, to get the traffic controls to save accidents and lives?

This is a trade-off of votes that happens all the time at just local levels. Can you even imagine what trade-offs have to be made at State and Federal levels by honest, good-hearted, well-intentioned legislators who want the best for their own constituents, but are held hostage by the legislators around them to get selfish propositions sanctioned?

This is what I mean by corruption. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, or get out of the game and someone who WILL play the game will take your place. And believe me... there are plenty of the latter...

So... does the honest councilmember vote against his constituents with dogs to get the traffic controls? Or does he go back to his constituents and say, "This is what I'm up against... how do you want me to vote?" This will then cause a rift in his own area between the dog owners and the ones who don't own pets and just want safer streets and a more even flow of traffic.

Every politician with an honest heart and a will to do the right thing has to make choices he/she hates, to get through legislation that is necessary.

This is why corruption is so normal.
___

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:45 am 

I see what you are talking about and I agree with you.

Unfortunately I was thinking of corruption in quite a different light, something a little bit more corrupt than what you had in mind.

I think you would all be quite shocked and somewhat disturbed if you had been a fly on the wall the last 14 years or so.

I can tell you with certainty that we do no longer have a democracy in Canada or the United States of America. That is a thing of the past, that was then and this is now.

We still have freedom of speech, up to a point, but cross the line and you go on the enemy of state list. You play the game or you don't play.

So you do what you are told you are allowed to do and nothing more. If you defy the rule you are subject to the consequences, which are not clearly defined but suggestive of something worse than you might imagine.

They word it this way, "there may be consequences which you might not have considered."

I consider it an act of corruption to agree to this agenda, whereby it is up to the individual to agree or choose to defy the powers that be.
___

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 am 

I wonder how many times Nancy Pelosi has heard that last phrase uttered, recently...

And no, David -- there's not very much that surprises me -- not since 1984.
___