UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 am 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31407981/

I think people in the Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources are nuts... and so was/is whomever wrote a Law like this.

Ignorance of the Law, we're always told, is "no excuse" for breaking one; yet, if we made sure that we always have read the Laws (Federal AND State) to be sure we would never break one of them, when would we have time to work, take care of our families, clean our houses, etc?!

I suppose, if this were myself, I'd just say, "Go ahead, then... fine me, and put me in jail; I have a conscience, and obviously none of you do."

It seems to me that the people who came in contact with the deer, and foliage from where it lay crying & starving before this woman rescued it and removed it to a safe haven, could be tested for evidence of any disease it might have. But NO... it's easier to make a scapegoat out of a conscientious human being (which we seem to be in short supply of, these days!) than to do the scientific study to qualify if the fawn was diseased. Surely, if it lay begging for help under a rose bush for 2 days, there would be enough DNA on the branches and the ground to test.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:51 am 

You know Barb, I can't even read that story because I'm already upset thinking about the fawn suffering for two days. It's enough to know that one person did the right thing, and the fawn is okay.

Laws are made to be broken.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:03 pm 

My wife rescued a baby raven a few years ago and we took it to the wildlife rescue center here.

It had a sinus infection and they treated it and returned it to it's original raven family who nest here every year.

A baby raven is not a small bird and has a beak big enough to take a finger off, but it was very gentle and friendly. We had it in a big bird cage for a few hours before we could arrange to take it to the center during which time it's mom and dad showed up and refused to leave until it was finally returned to them some days later after it made a full recovery.

And no game warden in the background or animal control officer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:51 am 

I grew up with a chipmunk I rescued from one of the farm cats, and a baby Blue Jay who fell out of the nest in the fir tree in our front yard, after a freak, late snow.

My grandpa built a 4X4X4 ft. cage for the Jay; Jay-Jay grew up and thrived as the center of attention in our large, farmhouse kitchen.

The chipmunk also had a 4X1X1 ft. cage, and Grandpa took a gallon syrup can, used tinsnips to make slits from rim-to-rim, and then used pliers to bend the strips outward; then he attached the "wheel" on an extension piece of wood, put a hole on one end of the cage and a hole in one end of the can lid, put a weight on the syrup can so that the holes always lined up, and voila! A hamster wheel was born!

Skippy spent hours a day running in his wheel. After he and Jay-Jay became well acquainted with us and with the dog, we allowed them out for a couple of hours in the evenings, so they could run the house. The Blue Jay liked to ride on Lady's harness, and the chipmunk loved walking along with the dog, running in and out between her front feet.

Skippy lived around 10 years, and Jay-Jay died just shortly before I graduated and came to California. They both loved home-grown veggies, fried eggs, nuts, crackers, and tea. But their favorite treat was a small container (I think it must have been a fruit jar cap) of CocaCola, a couple of times a week.

We lived just outside the city limits, so there were no Laws to prevent us from having "exotic" pets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:08 am 

well.. i hate to see stuff like this.. animals don't deserve to suffer like that.. the poor little baby was probably scared half to death and so hungry! i don't know how people can sit there and just let things starve to death and die like that.. it's very heartless and cruel... what's worse is that we do it human beings, too! (ie: terri schiavo)..

this is exactly what happens when people want the government so far up everyone's ass and think it's the government's job to do everything.. they end up caring more about making some innocent little deer starve to death and be alone in the woods, rather than finding murderers and rapists and doing crap that really matters! WAY TO GO!! why even bother paying taxes? lol i might as well write the IRS a letter and tell them that i used their portion of my money to wipe my butt with, and i flushed it down the toilet already, so that they don't have to worry about it anymore... in fact, maybe do that and charge them for the extra work! LOL my point being: i think the government should butt the F out (or at least the US government).. and our tax money goes to some of the most idiotic crap, so it's better off being used as toilet paper... and with the way our economy is, and how fast the dollar is dwindling down, it may very well end up being TP in the near future!... and there are so many stinking laws these days that i don't think people really care anymore. yeah the speed limit is 65... so i'm going to do 80.. lol soon it's going to become illegal to sneeze, and each sneeze will be fined 250,000.00 or something equally ridiculous.

way to go for that lady saving that cute little deer! poor little baby didn't deserve to die hungry and alone like that. it's worth being fined for.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:08 am 

Peeksie, let's NOT bring the Terri Schiavo case into this... You've never known anyone in that situation; I have. My son was in a coma for 5 1/2 years, and in my DREAMS he begged me to "let him go" but no one would allow it because of the Law in California. So until you've experienced that kind of nightmare for yourself, please don't judge. I believe Terri was gone, and had been, for a long time. And it was the religious Right who tried to bring GOD and the Government together, to keep her suffering... I'm glad it didn't happen, so hate me if you must. That's my opinion. But please don't let that one subject color your thoughts about other things I say in this forum. I may not always be just, but a lot of the time I'm eventually going to be proven "right." Maybe not in my lifetime, but if this text lives on after I'm gone, and the younger members save the things I've written, I'll be vindicated on lots of subjects.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 am 

i have known people in that situation.. i just don't agree with letting them starve to death. it's barbaric. animals get euthanized, which is a lot more humane, i think, than just letting someone starve to death when you can do something about it.

i am very sorry that your son was in the same situation. that is honestly very, very sad, and i do wish that, that had never happened to begin with.. but on the same note, i didn't know about your situation. so i apologize for bringing that memory up for you. i will try to be more careful in regards to what i say from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:03 pm 

Peeksie, you don't have to tippy-toe around me... Mark died in 1981; my daughter died in 1965... so even though no one ever forgets a loved one, and can have flash-backs to the anger and the pain of that day, it doesn't prey upon my senses for longer than it takes to comment about it. And then it's over. I just feel so sad for the people who can't let go of the anger and emotion, and go through the rest of their lives reliving it because they don't know how to, or don't want to move on. But I CAN say that the circumstances around those unfortunate tragedies will forever cause me to see life a little differently than others without those losses.

And yes, you're right about the starvation. We DO euthanize animals to put them out of their miseries, and it has always befuddled me why we can empathize with their pain, and then refuse the same empathy and dignity to ourselves. [Well, actually (having been raised in a fundamentalist religion) I CAN understand where the stigma/dogma/erroneous thought of it being sinful comes from; I just can't relate to it.] The "Bible" tells it's believers that God is a jealous God, he's a vengeful God, he's a loving God, he can grant or deny whatever requests his believers ask... and if they ask and don't get the healing or money or peace or whatever else they ask for, then God chose to just say NO. And that same Bible says God made mankind "stewards of all the animals upon the earth". I guess religious people's ideas of God's meaning of stewardship and mankind's interpretation of it has always been somewhat different. Or, at the very least, MY interpretation of stewardship differs from 50% of the rest of the world's ideas.

Anyway, don't feel you can't speak your mind in our forum, peeksie... I am not thin-skinned, and rarely take offense at another person's ideas. That's what this forum is all about ... speaking our minds and sharing our individual views. That's how we all grow to be broader-minded people. We aren't kept in boxes, here. In fact, thinking outside "the box" is why forums are such a success, and such a threat to those who would silence our individualism, and have us all believe just one way.

I say HARRAH!! for the woman who chose to save the fawn, and for those who's compassion makes our world a better place.