UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 am 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8138963.stm

By Fergus Walsh
BBC medical correspondent

Scientists in Newcastle claim to have created human sperm in the laboratory in what they say is a world first.
The researchers believe the work could eventually help men with fertility problems to father a child.
But other experts say they are not convinced that fully developed sperm have been created.
Writing in the journal Stem Cells and Development, the Newcastle team say it will be at least five years before the technique is perfected.

ENTIRE ARTICLE at the link.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 am 

Wait a minute, they have created human sperm in the lab but it will be 5 years before it is perfected?

Come back when it's perfected and you'll have something to brag about guys.

Talk about man logic or what?

Meanwhile how will they know when it's perfected, who are the desperate women they are going to test this on?

Or will they do a conception in a dish to see what they get?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:50 am 

David, you know what they'll do... They'll snatch some poor woman off the street or out of a shelter, and tell her what they're doing is for her own good; THAT'S how the bastards will test them... over, and over, and over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 am 

Hmmmmmmm

Does this mean that men could be........obsolete?

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 am 

Tim, when the machines we are on the slippery slope of developing, learn they can tweak our eggs and sperm to get worker bio-bots, humans won't be necessary, if they've stockpiled enough samples of both to replicate and keep improving.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:37 am 

Tim & Twealed, I heard the lead scientist on the radio tonight, it is now 5 to 7 years to perfection.

The big push is due to the declining human sperm count in terms of quality and quantity.

50 years of declining sperm count has brought us to making our own in the lab.

A global problem, so it looks like there is some big money to be made if they can get the bugs out.

This may have something to do with man logic, as man logic can play hell with the sperm count, especially when they count each one twice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 am 

But... but... but... we're ALREADY far too fertile around the globe!!!

Maybe the lower sperm counts and viable eggs are "by design." By that, I mean, if we keep procreating at the rate we're going, the Earth can't possibly support the billions of people who are already here, let alone, the ones who keep having babies every year at such an alarming rate. POPULATION is our problem, (IMHO) and only if we have the foresight to STOP HAVING CHILDREN we can't afford, aren't ready to take care of, and many don't even want, what kind of sense does that make?? It tells ME that we're behaving like parasites, not wise, civilized people. Perhaps these "medical problems" we think we have are just a normal part of the Collective Consciousness, trying desperately to slow the rate of unnecessary births so that LESS is really MORE for mankind.

It makes no sense to keep having all these additional children, and then having to wage wars, and suffer catastrophes, and plagues to lower the population, when with some common sense, and using birth control and abortion when it's warranted, we can solve the over-population problem without invoking the barbarism and diseases it takes to put the population back into proportionate balance.

Sarah Palin commented the other day that EVERYONE should know the joy of having a "challenged child" to care for... If THIS kind of logic is what she's preaching to the individuals and families who KNOW there's a possibility that them having children can result in a "challenged child," and many of them actually listen to her, then what hope is there that common sense can prevail?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:28 pm 

I think the sperm thing out of bone will be so costly and involved, that only the very rich would be able to use that in order to have their own children. Which is one of the main reasons this research is done in the first place.

It is no different really than in vitro, which unfortunately is also exploited as we've seen with octomom. Only difference is the doner is actually the father with his own sperm made in a lab.

I am more concerned about the indiscriminate procreation by women, to have babies for profit, or the ever quickly emerging perfection of designer babies. Blue eyes or brown.

Nature is being maniuplated at every turn. Is it any wonder that there will be a back door to all of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm 

I can actually fathom the usefulness of couples wanting to determine the sex of the next child. If a couple already has one or 2 of the same sex, and (shudder!) really want (hopefully the LAST) one to be the opposite sex, I understand the emotional desire to do that. But I've actually known couples who had child-after-child, TRYING to get a boy or a girl to complete one or both of their desires, and it never happens. One couple had three girls, 3 years apart, and desperately wanted a boy, so they kept trying, for another 15 years with no success, until finally Dee was pregnant, and the tests determined yes, it was a boy. Well, by this time Dee was 41, and when he was born, he had Turrets Syndrome. Another couple had NINE (count 'em!)... NINE boys by the time their twin girls were born, and they had to reply upon donations from their Church and food stamps, etc. to finish raising educating their family.

People need to realistically think ahead...

So, if a couple wants a specific sex, and our technology can successfully DO that without risking some kind of malady to the fetus, I might agree it could be a blessing.

As for people taking advantage of the ability? Yes... there will always be people who do that; it's done with everything else, too. Nothing we have ever developed has always been used the ways they were intended. One only has to look as far as patents for inventions which, when used to help mankind, have been confiscated by National Security and turned over to Black Ops for weapon applications. That, it seems, is the Ying and the Yang of mankind's personality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 am 

I knew it, I just knew it had to be man logic at work....I want a boy child and I wont stop until I get one.

My man logic father wanted a girl child, so he was more than a little disappointed with me which kind of set the tone for the next 60 years.

Luckily they did not decide to call me Heather as they had planned for the girl child, but as fate would have it he ended up with two boy child's and that was the end of the child making business.

Anyone who wants what they don't have can always adopt, but man logic dictates that it must be of his own seed (sperm). This thinking alone pretty much defines man logic. :roll: