UFOSeek Forum

Community for discussion of UFO, Paranormal and mysterious topics
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:10 pm 

Interesting to think that too much water can harm you, but apparently it can. In particular, detox diets which recommend high volumes of water can cause serious damage to the human body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6263029.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7520756.stm

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm 

Drinking too much of anything too fast can harm us.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:10 pm 

Water intoxication is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water. Normal, healthy (both physically and nutritionally) individuals have little reason to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume high amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:09 pm 

What do you think about this? This video looks little funny, but I have read about this that it works well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F054MSUz ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:43 pm 

I agree that changing the molecular spin of the water can help. But we also need to be aware of all the pollutants our water contains - pollutants that used to NOT be in it. We've got prescription and illegal drugs, Fluoride, and chemicals from the rain (especially radiation, now, all around the globe). There are a lot of filter-pushers who claim their filters take most of these pollutants out... but the truth is, none of them can guarantee 100% removal. Whatever we can do to improve our water, makes it better for everyone. But when we consider how many electrical appliances (everything from cordless phones, microwaves, televisions, etc.) we have permeating our households and nearly everywhere we go when we're outside, we need to work to lower all of the impacts these have on our body's electrical systems AND the water we drink.

But every little bit helps...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:29 am 

In March 2001, a 19-year-old Marine died from drinking too much water after a 26-mile march, during which he carried a pack and gear weighing more than 90 pounds. Although he appeared fine during the beginning stages of the 8-hour walk, towards the end he began vomiting and appeared overly tired. He was then sent to the hospital, where he fell into a coma, developed brain swelling and died the next day. It is unclear how much water he drank during the march, but Marines were given a "constant emphasis" on drinking water before and during the activity, Gardner writes in the latest issue of Military Medicine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 am 

Yes, we CAN drink too much water! And there are many of us who do not drink as much as we should.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm 

This reminds me of a contest at one of my old schools. It was to see how many cups of water you could drink before throwing up. I think the record is around 15.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:00 pm 

This is how people get hurt, and even DIE... Water-drinking contests shouldn't be allowed. A woman who was entered in a radio contest a couple of years ago DIED from drinking too much water, just to win a few dollars.

I'm not a huge fan of eating contests, either. While not that many people seem to get hurt from them, shoveling down too much food can cause acid reflux and result in Barrett's Disease, later in life. I have Barrett's Disease, and it's not pleasant. But I didn't get it from over-eating; it occurred as the result of a misdiagnosis of gall stones which grew worse & worse over 6 years, and now my esophagus can turn cancerous at any time. I have to have a camera shoved down my throat to my stomach 3 times a year, and it's NOT a pleasant experience. Neither is taking pills every day to control how much acid my stomach makes.

Take care of your bodies when you're young, because once you get old, you're old for a VERY long time!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:41 pm 

I live near these restaurants called Bub's. They have really big eating contests. Here is the website: http://www.bubsburgersandicecream.com/.

Kill46